Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I know this mid-range boost for solo's is a basic but.. - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I know this mid-range boost for solo's is a basic but..

What's Hot
So, after years of struggling getting heard playing solo's I decided to throw caution to the wind and pop a mid-range solo boost into a couple of patches on my Kemper last night. The Kemper has a stomp entitled 'solo boost' so seemed appropriate!

Had a listen at home volume (still reasonable volume) and it sounded f'kin terrible :)

Turned up at band practice and low and behold. Gig volume certainly helped make the boost sound a bit more balanced in isolation but the effect was revelatory when playing a few numbers with the band. Sounded great and I simply couldn't believe how well the sound cut through some heavily congested stuff. I still find it hard to believe how such a terrible sound could sound so good.

I'm now a convert (and need to learn not to fuck up solo's so much as now everyone can hear me!)

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• There is a bit of a golden rule in mixing (recording and live FoH) that everything has to be judged in the context of a mix. A solo acoustic guitar is a wonderful thing but put it in the context of bass, drums and a strong vocal and all of a sudden the aspect  of the sound you liked so much has disappeared behind the bass and the bit that was cutting your head off is now giving melodic meaning to the whole backline.

Every one I know who gigs regularly has been through the process of, "I sorted it all out at home - oh, maybe not".

This is also why many sound-techs are suspicious of musicians who "know exactly what they want".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Every patch I've ever made that sounded awesome at home sounded arse or was lost in a band mix. And every patch I've ever made that worked in a band mix sounded awful at home. It's all about targetting the frequencies you need to be heard in a mix, and leaving space for everyone else to do their bit, whereas at home on your own you need to fill stuff out more or it sounds cack.

Not that I'm world's expert, far from it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Snags said:
    Every patch I've ever made that sounded awesome at home sounded arse or was lost in a band mix. And every patch I've ever made that worked in a band mix sounded awful at home. It's all about targetting the frequencies you need to be heard in a mix, and leaving space for everyone else to do their bit, whereas at home on your own you need to fill stuff out more or it sounds cack.

Not that I'm world's expert, far from it.
    Clue is in the name of the instrument Guitar and Bass. When you make a patch at home you fill in the space the bass guitar occupies and balance accordingly. When you add the bass in live then the balance goes to mush
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    The reason a lot of people don't like the k circuit od that its boxy or nasally. Not in a mix.