Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Hilary Mantel - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Hilary Mantel

What's Hot
By strange coincidence I finished reading her Cromwell trilogy last night, and her death was announced today. 

If you haven't read Wolf Hall and the other two books, do. 

RIP the greatest British writer of the 21st century so far.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I have to admit that she is not someone I've heard of. I looked up Wolf Hall and it sounds intriguing, one to pick up at some point.
    Only 70, A shame to go at such a relatively young age.

Some reviewers are pretty useless, of Wolf Hall, Susan Bassnett, in Times Higher Education, wrote, "dreadfully badly written... Mantel just wrote and wrote and wrote. I have yet to meet anyone outside the Booker panel who managed to get to the end of this tedious tome. God forbid there might be a sequel, which I fear is on the horizon."

Yet the book won all these awards!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Just read about this on the news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63007307

Quite a shock to die at only 70; I sort of expected that she would go on to be a grande dame of the literary world until she was about 103...

• Quite a shock.  I've read most of her stuff and while I haven't loved all of it - Beyond Black wasn't my cuppa and the final book in the Wolf Hall trilogy was a falling off - Wolf Hall and Bringing Up The Bodies are as good as anything written in the past 20 years.  And I say that as someone who's generally a bit resistant to historical fiction.

She always seemed so likeable.  She's had pretty serious health problems for most of her life but I'd no idea that she had anything life threatening.  70 is young nowadays. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:

Some reviewers are pretty useless, of Wolf Hall, Susan Bassnett, in Times Higher Education, wrote, "dreadfully badly written... Mantel just wrote and wrote and wrote. I have yet to meet anyone outside the Booker panel who managed to get to the end of this tedious tome. God forbid there might be a sequel, which I fear is on the horizon."
    Blimey. I think that tells you more about Susan Bassnett (whoever she is) than it does about Wolf Hall.

I'd agree with @Blueingreen that the third volume isn't quite as good as the first two, though the very end is incredibly powerful.

The first half of Beyond Black is amazing, it's a shame the second half doesn't live up to it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Sad news. She had a unique style and voice (one that Susan Bassnett was seemingly not attuned to) which bought history to life.
  • I must admit I gave up on the television adaptation of Wolf Hall so thought the book would be beyond me. But I know who she was, have heard her interviewed on several occasions and she was obviously a very bright and talented person. RIP. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Her Cromwell trilogy certainly divided people, her writing is like Marmite, try reading the views on Amazon!

I have read Wolf Hall but could not cope with her writing style and so did not read the other two …… and I so wanted to enjoy it…….

As an amateur historian it’s a period of history I have read a lot about, so I am familiar with all the people in the books but still found it confusing…

To each their own though…. RIP
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've never read her books, although I bought nice hardcover editions of the first two for my parents years ago - they probably ended up in a charity shop!

She wasn't very old, I was surprised by the news today.  RIP
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    I must admit I gave up on the television adaptation of Wolf Hall so thought the book would be beyond me. But I know who she was, have heard her interviewed on several occasions and she was obviously a very bright and talented person. RIP. 
    I enjoyed it, although it was mostly Mark Rylance doing his usual laconic delivery and the pace was a little slow. The first two Wolf Hall books are good and worth the read, if a little difficult to get into. I haven’t got round to reading the last one. 

70 is definitely young to go these days, I’m only two years short of that myself!

Anyway, RIP.