Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Thick picks for sore wrist, elbow, and shoulder (Various Jim Dunlops) - Gear Reviews Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Thick picks for sore wrist, elbow, and shoulder (Various Jim Dunlops)

What's Hot
Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
edited March 2023 in Gear Reviews
I have sore joints on my right side, the pains come and go, but since last winter they have escalated from occasional niggles to outright Annoyances a lot of the time.

So, how bad is it? Some days I can't reach into my fridge for ketchup bad. I need to get into some weird yoga-like pose to angle my arm so any motion is within the tolerable range.

I was not far off from ordering customised picks online because that seemed like the relatively cheaper option. Looking at all my picks I have spent about the sme as a custom pick. On the other hand (where there is pain also), if something mass produced was the ticket, getting a custom pick seemed way overkill.

So after trying the Dunlop Sculpted Primetone at 3.00mm, the Flow Jumbo 3.0mm, I find that both are great with good grip.

The Dunlop Flow Gloss 3.0mm is actually a lot like a Big Stubby, which has the "big dimple". May be right for some, but not for me.

Then I tried the Flow Jumbo 4.20mm. It is better for the days when nothing else is touching the pain.

Then came one day, not even the 4.20mm was enough. And I discovered the Dunlop Primetone Large Pointed 5.00mm. Basically a very chonky Flow Jumbo, with "all terrain" tread grip. They have a shallow dimple on one side, but none on the other.

The 5.0mm is great for now, but I am not ruling out the custom pick.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• dude, you don't need a thicker pick, you need to see a physio.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 414
    echoing @finest1 ; - go see a physio / gp  - consider dropping dairy and other inflammation causing foods from your diet too . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • finest1 said:
    dude, you don't need a thicker pick, you need to see a physio.
    But a Custom pick is cheaper than private physio, and quicker than NHS.
    JMP220478 said:
    echoing @finest1 ; - go see a physio / gp  - consider dropping dairy and other inflammation causing foods from your diet too . 
    Been doing that already for a number of years. I.F., Keto going on carnivore these days.

The duff shoulder is from a couple of bad falls over the years, wrist and elbow are from bad ergonomics at home. Otherwise known as Self Inflicted.

Oooh... but the custom pick is so lush and nice... Tee hee hee. Ouch.

I got the idea for a thick pick from this video, and I did buy the pick from Patrick Hufschmid. No, I did not get or use a discount code. I got the "Mega Jazz" in 10mm. I love that pick and will probably get a couple more. No, it is not like playing the guitar using a corner of a sharpened chopping board. Yes, it is "easier" to play with such a pick despite the chonkiness.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Call these people https://www.bapam.org.uk/

They do free consultations for performers, and everyone is well versed in the unusual demands we put on our bodies (sometimes seeing your GP is a bit of a lottery, I just got told to rest when I had RSI, which wasn't much use for my playing career at the time...).

Their factsheets are great too, especially the "Don't Cramp Your Style" warm-ups one https://www.bapam.org.uk/health-resources/

Oh, and definitely get some expensive custom picks, GAS is always right ;-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 414
    Call these people https://www.bapam.org.uk/

They do free consultations for performers, and everyone is well versed in the unusual demands we put on our bodies (sometimes seeing your GP is a bit of a lottery, I just got told to rest when I had RSI, which wasn't much use for my playing career at the time...).

Their factsheets are great too, especially the "Don't Cramp Your Style" warm-ups one https://www.bapam.org.uk/health-resources/

Oh, and definitely get some expensive custom picks, GAS is always right ;-) 
    cheers for sharing this - will post details up at local rehearsal rooms 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    1: Physio
    2: Ketchup doesn't need to be in the fridge. It's acidic content will keep it fresh for months in a cupboard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Try V picks too .........they're quite addictive once you acclimatise to them