Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Eddie Butler - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Eddie Butler

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
in Tributes tFB Trader
Crikey, he is only a couple of years older than me - Yet he has been the voice of rugby, certainly after Bill McLaren - 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited September 2022 tFB Trader
    I'm not comparing Eddie to HM The Queen - But whilst she has been part of our life for so many years, in many ways so has Eddie - You turned on the BBC to watch the 6 nations and for so many years Eddie was the voice you heard - You can say the same for John Motson, David Coleman etc, but such a voice is institutionalised as part of our sporting life - RIP Eddie 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2562
    edited September 2022
    This is a real shock.

My dad was part of the squad at Pontypool during the '80s, so as a family we spent a fair amount of time around the club...matches, socials, kids christmas parties, all that stuff.  Eddie was a big figure in the squad and around the club.  A smart guy, a real gent, and as it turned out, a fantastic commentator.  Many of the old squad stay in touch pretty regularly (my dad helped organise a get-together about 6 months back), and their will be a lot of guys heartbroken this evening.  Pross had a good innings, 93, but 65 is nothing.  

RIP Ed
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited September 2022
    A big shock to hear this news. He was a giant in many ways. His playing days were before my time, but loved his commentary (with Moore) which brought games alive in the living room. His prose over those rugby montages were legendary. 

I saw him make an outstandingly intelligent and hearfelt speech at the Merthyr independence march which I and all who saw it will never forget (yes, he supported Welsh independence). 

He’ll be remembered fondly for many years. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Wow, what a shame.  
     Couldn’t stand his “commentary”, but that’s me I suppose.  Terribly young age and a big loss for the sport and Wales itself . RIP.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    edited September 2022
    Really saddened by this news. Such a wonderful voice and a very eloquent wordsmith.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Wow, that's a big shock.

RIP. 
  • Shave on Gavin! RIP Ed
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    edited September 2022
    I knew Eddie incredibly well and for some 17 years.

He was a giant of the press box, a consummate broadcaster and a wonderful man.

One evening in Paris we spent the night drinking bloody marys until 2 and a load of us debating the nuances of hard French T's and S's. It went on into the early hours, Eddie desperate to get Oxbridge French and local dialect French aligned. It was never settled conclusively, although Fabien Pelous did confirm he is Pel-loose, not Pel-oo. Eddie STILL said Pel-oo just to piss us all off! The last convo I had with him was about Charles Ollivon being the French Amateur number 2 in squash- one for his comms snippets. That's how it was with him, trivia that mean nothing but meant everything to him.

We shared stories last night on the rugby writer's Whatsapp group with some of the older writers visibly shaken.

He was a broadcasting titan and I will miss him greatly.

RIP Ed.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter