Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). HX Effects firmware update woes - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

HX Effects firmware update woes

What's Hot
Just seeing if anyone else has had this problem…

Tried updating my HXFX from v2.51 to 3.15
The updater recognises the unit and begins installing, laptop makes sound of a usb device being disconnected/reconnected and the unit says Updater Ready then it fails. 

Get this error message: “hx effects did not reset after loading update app (via DFU)”

I’ve followed the on screen instructions, tried a different laptop and usb lead but same result every time. 

I’ve raised a ticket with Line 6 support but thought I’d see if anyone had any ideas. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Can you walk it through in stages? When I had one it came to me quite out of date so I went through each missing release in turn, rather than trying to jump in one go. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The USB type B socket on Line 6 products is shit quality and prone to breaking or having bad joints on the board. The sound of the USB connection / disconnection  can be caused by software handshake or the 5V rail being iffy. 
    Have a good look at the socket, try holding the cable in position and see if that helps. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Yes the usb cable that came with my HX Stomp didn't work at all. Once I used a different cable I could update the firmware. 

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    Was there a thing where you needed to update to 3.0 from 2.x, before going to any later versions , as alot of the architecture had changed ? 

• paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 140
    edited September 2022
    You mention "the updater"? I always update my Stomp through HX Edit. Update edit to 3.15 then update your hardware through HX Edit.
  • Snags said:
    Can you walk it through in stages? When I had one it came to me quite out of date so I went through each missing release in turn, rather than trying to jump in one go. 
    I did try just updating to the next version (2.6 or whatever) and had the same problem.
    I'll try again tonight and make a note of the exact process as I can't remember each step!

Danny1969 said:
    The USB type B socket on Line 6 products is shit quality and prone to breaking or having bad joints on the board. The sound of the USB connection / disconnection  can be caused by software handshake or the 5V rail being iffy. 
    Have a good look at the socket, try holding the cable in position and see if that helps. 

I'll give it a look, thanks. From memory, I think it's happening at the same time on each attempt which would suggest a handshake but I'll double check later.

Grumpyrocker said:
    Yes the usb cable that came with my HX Stomp didn't work at all. Once I used a different cable I could update the firmware. 
    I bought a new cable as my laptop only has USB-C sockets and I wanted to rule out my USB hub causing issues. 

One other thing that happened is I was able to save a back up on my wife's laptop but not on mine - will make a note of the error message if it happens again.

• You mention "the updater"? I always update my Stomp through HX Edit. Update edit to 3.15 then update your hardware through HX Edit.
    Tried that as well, no joy.
  • Had a response from Line 6 with several suggestions so will give them a go tonight.
  • Still no joy. :(

Here’s a summary of what I’ve tried on advice from Line6. I tried 3 different laptops running windows 10, all USB ports and two different cables. Power cycled HXFX and disconnected cable in between each attempt. 

Updating with HX edit

Asks to create backup - click ok 

Error message: Backup dialog failed to load. Click to retry. 

No response

Using Line 6 updater

Begin installing update

Message on bottom of screen: HX Effects- DFU has been disconnected

Laptop makes sound of USB disconnecting and reconnecting twice. 

Error message: HX Effects did not reset after loading app (via DFU)

Click ok

Error message: HX Effects unit does not identify as HX Effects 

Contact customer support for guidance 

Try again in update mode. 

Same as above 

Try again after manual download of firmware

Same as above

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1525
    edited September 2022
    There was a major system firmware architecture change at V2.80.  I wouldn't be surprised if going straight from 2.51 to 3.15 has fallen foul of this as 3.15 is probably expecting the underlying core architecture to be the post 2.8 version. 

If it will let you then I suggest re-installing 2.51 again, then install 2.82, then install 3.15.  MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS IN THE RELEASE NOTES FOR EACH BUILD TO THE LETTER.  This is important because the upgrade procedure now in place is not the same as it was for earlier builds.  Make sure too that if you use Hx Edit at any stage that it is the correct version for each build.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • Yeah, tried installing earlier versions but get the same errors each time. I've reported back to Line 6 so hopefully they'll come up with something. 
  • DanDan Frets: 429
    edited September 2022
    Have you got access to a desktop PC? I’ve had issues before with updating USB devices from a laptop. 
  • Unfortunately not. I’ve updated my M9 without issue before though. 
  • I have had issues trying to update my HX Stomp from my Macbook. So I always do it via my desktop Windows PC now. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited September 2022
    Laptop USB ports don't always produce enough signal for these updates to run. If you have no access to a PC, try using a powered USB hub with your laptop

And even with some PCs, it's best to use a rear rather than front USB port as these often generate a stronger signal. I had that problem with Pod Go Edit, which wouldn't connect or run properly from the front USB ports of my PC.  Switched it to rear and it now works perfectly.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Managed to get hold of a desktop at work that didn’t need admin rights to install new software aaaaand...

...still fails. :angry: 

Thanks for everyone's sugestions, will wait and see what tech support says.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    This isn't of any real help, other than vague reassurance, but I could never get my HXFX to take a backup with HX Edit, but always managed to do firmware updates. The person I sold it to, it backed up first time for them ...

Which I suppose is by way of saying it might be worth trying it on as many computers as you can persuade people to let you use :)
  • I managed to do a back up on my wife's laptop but the update would fail as it has with every other laptop/PC. Typically, I can't even get Updater to open on hers now! 
    The fact I'm seeing identical behaviour on each machine leads me to believe it's the HXFX that's the issue. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Managed to get hold of a desktop at work that didn’t need admin rights to install new software aaaaand...

Did you use the rear USB port? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Managed to get hold of a desktop at work that didn’t need admin rights to install new software aaaaand...

Did you use the rear USB port? 
    I used all of em! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Did you ever fix this?  Same problem.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • No unfortunately not. I did speak to someone at E&M who do repairs for Line 6 and he said it sounded like a problem with the main pcb which is well over £200 without fitting, delivery etc. 
    So I’m basically stuck with it the older firmware. 

• @Longtallronnie ;

I just got mine back from a warranty repair, which was honoured despite being out of time - as I first raised it with them within but the repair people in the U.K. didn’t reply in a year despite repeat attempts. 

Anyway, something was replaced internally but suspect this will need the same. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I'm another hxfx owner who can't upgrade the firmware because the usb connection is broken. I sent away to E&M who quoted a fortune to repair, because it also need a new back board or something.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • It’s just had the PCB replaced so they’ve asked for it back. Fingers crossed it’s free..

My band, Red For Dissent