Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fish panning - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fish panning

What's Hot
Does anyone know what 'fish panning' is in audio engineering?

I was reading the liner notes on the Blue Sunshine album by The Glove and it says that fish panning Mr Waverley was used, with a hand drawn picture of two fish facing each other.

The only this that comes up when searching online is saute pans!

I'm not sure if it's actually something - I'm pretty sure that Steve and Robert were using quite a bit of acid around this time!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Never heard of it until now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonic said:
    Never heard of it until now.
    Like I said, lots of acid! It could be fabricated.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Another mention here:

http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8174.0

Mr Waverly is apparently John McGeoch.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Another mention here:

http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8174.0

Mr Waverly is apparently John McGeoch.

Well spotted. I do like John McGeoch's stuff.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Congratulations on having the good taste to have the Blue Sunshine album by The Glove.

That makes at least two of us 
    ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It’s when you only pan the bass.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    As I understand it, Julian Bream always insisted on this in his recordings.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    I think it only applies when you’re playing certain scales.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's when you split your signal using the tuna pedal
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Some of these puns are cod-awful
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • (I don't know whether this is what it's called, or whether it's what you're referring to, but there is a thing where you have a bunch of tracks and you pan them left and right almost at random, keeping them moving all the time, often into delay or big reverb, so the effect is like a school of fish underwater. You used to need a lot of hands to do that sort of thing, but these days you can automate it. Does that fit with the track you're thinking of?)

(I don't have any puns, sorry.)
  • You can use fish panning if your mix sounds a little thin -  it can really fillet out. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I can't believe how gillable some people are. 
  • It’s a load of Pollocks if you ask me.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • (I don't know whether this is what it's called, or whether it's what you're referring to, but there is a thing where you have a bunch of tracks and you pan them left and right almost at random, keeping them moving all the time, often into delay or big reverb, so the effect is like a school of fish underwater. You used to need a lot of hands to do that sort of thing, but these days you can automate it. Does that fit with the track you're thinking of?)

(I don't have any puns, sorry.)
    It's pretty trippy music however i don't know if it is as extreme as that sounds - I'll pop it in on the headphones though tonight.

I'm all trout of puns as well.

Sorry...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He had a serious question. This is not the plaice for jokes.
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    Cure folklore said that during that acid soaked period Robert Smith decorated his Jazzmaster with fish. Probably something to do with that. Not joking BTW.
  • People are really trawling the depths in this thread now. 
  • marxski said:
    Cure folklore said that during that acid soaked period Robert Smith decorated his Jazzmaster with fish. Probably something to do with that. Not joking BTW.
    No, I know you're not joking - as far as I know that was was the old Jazzmaster which was hacked up by some art school friends; I don't think it's related but clearly there's something fishy going on!
  • I remember reading that in interview many years ago. IIRC he appeared on ToTP with the piscine Jazmaster when he was in the Banshees.