Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sad news - Rexter Guitars is no more - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sad news - Rexter Guitars is no more

What's Hot

Rexter Guitars https://rexterguitars.co.uk/ is no more. Jon has shut the business at the end of August and does not foresee reopening commercially. "Crazy cost of everything" was mentioned. He's onto a new career track.

I thought I'd just just say Jon was always a delight to work with and took care to get everything just right. He did a number of bespoke finishing projects for me and I was never anything less than delighted.

In tribute, here are three of the finishes he did and I still own all of them.

Thank you Jon @rexter ;

Aged Inca Silver  

Ocean Turquoise Metallic  

Dark British Racing Green

IMG_7578JPG

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Really sorry to hear that.

He was a talented man, and had spent a lot of time and energy getting his workshop set-up.  Met him a couple of times, and thought he had a sensible business head on too.

:(

Hope life's OK Jon @rexter ;
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    He did this one for me - absolutely exactly what I asked for (and nothing like what he normally does!)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That British racing green tele is perfection 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Wishing Jon all the best in the next phase of his life. When we spoke, he wasn’t regretful. He’s made the right decision for him and that is the most important thing.

Just to note, that is 2 small U.K. based guitar businesses in the last month (stormshadow) to call it quits. It’s always worth considering going to a small, professional and knowledgeable U.K. builder or finisher when you’re pondering your next £5k fender or Gibson etc..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Are they just refinished Fenders?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    prowla said:
    Are they just refinished Fenders?
    The ones I pictured are my builds that include use of genuine Fender and other used parts. The bodies were all new from scratch by Jon Rexter
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1300
    had two necks from rexter, both great. always wanted to get a nice custom colour refin from them but timing/funds never lined up. 
  • I love all 3 of your teles! Great work from Rexter 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I love all 3 of your teles! Great work from Rexter 
    Thanks you kindly. I'm very glad I could use him while he was doing this commercially.
  • Really sad to hear about this. I had Jon make and finish a Jazzmaster body for me in NOS walnut last year, and had been looking forward to getting him to do me another body in one of his speciality aged metalic finishes in the near future. I couldn't have been more pleased with what he produced for me, but if I'd have known it was going to be the only one, I'd have chosen a different finish!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    It is very sad news - he's done a few guitars/bodies for me and hes a great guy.

I snaffled one of the very last bodies he painted and I'm just waiting on delivery now - a Strat in aged Ice Blue... I can't wait to build it up.

I wish him well for the future.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6806
    tFB Trader
    A real shame, Jon was/is a diamond of a guy.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    Such a shame he did the nitro Candy Apple Red on my Feline. 
  • rexterrexter Frets: 363
    tFB Trader
    I've been hiding out in my mountain lair since last August, working through left over jobs, selling my gear and rehabilitating myself back into normal life as somebody who doesn't work with guitars :) 

I haven't been on here since probably before I closed the workshop down and I'm really touched to see the kind words you guys. Things got so hectic in the last few weeks of the business that I needed a good few months away to decompress.

@rze99 you were a loyal supporter and friend from day one, thanks so much for the post :) likewise Bill and Tim, thank you guys!

I caught up with @IvisonGuitars in November last year which was great and have enjoyed chatting to @GoldenEraGuitars a few times and flogging him some tasty sprayguns!

@TTony - been meaning to get in touch with you for so long, your help was great along the way and I hope you and the family are all doing really well. 

I left things slightly ambiguous (at least on my website) but I know now that I won't be doing any commercial finishing for a long time, possibly never. But... the habit is hard to kick so I'll definitely be making some guitars in time. 

Thanks to everybody over the years - it got to the point where we were getting way more job requests than we could take on and waiting times for some customers were getting really long. Many were happy to wait 6 months or more but it stressed me out.

Getting so many amazing vintage restorations in was fantastic and had really steered the business that way in the past two years.

But... the dust and the fumes and being away from home for long hours everyday were starting to grate on me. The rising cost of everything and the sneaky charges being added by the landlord just made me consider whether it was still worth it.

I realised that perversely I'd be making multiple times my annual turnover working from my laptop at home so the decision was kind of made for me. 

I am setting up a small home workshop with the tools I've held onto and my stash of old mahogany and rosewood etc and I'll be making some stuff once I've got a few good contracts under my belt for my new business and don't have to worry about the bills so much!

Thanks everyone!

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    rexter said:

I realised that perversely I'd be making multiple times my annual turnover working from my laptop at home so the decision was kind of made for me. 

Sadly, that's been proven to be true, many many times, and a good few talented craftspeople have left lots of skilled industries as a consequence.

But, congrats on seeing your way through, and out of, a situation that wasn't going to be right for you long-term.  

Thanks again for the perfect work you did for me, glad to have been able to be of some little help along the way, and hope to see you doing something - just for fun - in future.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    rexter said:

Sadly, that's been proven to be true, many many times, and a good few talented craftspeople have left lots of skilled industries as a consequence.

But, congrats on seeing your way through, and out of, a situation that wasn't going to be right for you long-term.  

Thanks again for the perfect work you did for me, glad to have been able to be of some little help along the way, and hope to see you doing something - just for fun - in future.
    Hi Tony, cheers for that and your advice definitely did help! It's the long-term aspect that got me thinking, losing the workshop is a shame but opens up all sorts of other things again - like living abroad/ more disposable income etc.

I suspect I might see you on the early train to Liverpool Street one morning if you're still doing that :)

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    rexter said:
    I've been hiding out in my mountain lair since last August, working through left over jobs, selling my gear and rehabilitating myself back into normal life as somebody who doesn't work with guitars :) 

I haven't been on here since probably before I closed the workshop down and I'm really touched to see the kind words you guys. Things got so hectic in the last few weeks of the business that I needed a good few months away to decompress.

@rze99 you were a loyal supporter and friend from day one, thanks so much for the post :) likewise Bill and Tim, thank you guys!

I caught up with @IvisonGuitars in November last year which was great and have enjoyed chatting to @GoldenEraGuitars a few times and flogging him some tasty sprayguns!

@TTony - been meaning to get in touch with you for so long, your help was great along the way and I hope you and the family are all doing really well. 

I left things slightly ambiguous (at least on my website) but I know now that I won't be doing any commercial finishing for a long time, possibly never. But... the habit is hard to kick so I'll definitely be making some guitars in time. 

Thanks to everybody over the years - it got to the point where we were getting way more job requests than we could take on and waiting times for some customers were getting really long. Many were happy to wait 6 months or more but it stressed me out.

Getting so many amazing vintage restorations in was fantastic and had really steered the business that way in the past two years.

But... the dust and the fumes and being away from home for long hours everyday were starting to grate on me. The rising cost of everything and the sneaky charges being added by the landlord just made me consider whether it was still worth it.

I am setting up a small home workshop with the tools I've held onto and my stash of old mahogany and rosewood etc and I'll be making some stuff once I've got a few good contracts under my belt for my new business and don't have to worry about the bills so much!

Thanks everyone!

Lovely to hear from you Jon and glad your return to normality is beneficial for you. 

Maybe your Rexter guitar finishes will become highly collectible …..in which case I’ll be Rich! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    rexter said:

Thanks everyone!

Great to hear you're OK Jon - and totally get what you mean about work/life balance and money. There's a huge part of me that wants to go back to being a writer, but I also understand that the journo lifestyle really isn't healthy for me... and I can't afford to live on the proceeds (unless I either suck corporate chod, forgetting I have any integrity etc or take on the pressure of being an Editor - neither appeals, so here I am back in the MI).

Two of my fave guitars are ones you created the bodies for and for that, I shall always be grateful. 

Don't be a stranger!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2394
    I delivered a Tele with a truly gruesome finish to Jon and he transformed it into this:

Jon gave me plenty of progress photos and the communication was always great. I couldn't have wished for more.

Best wishes for a rosy future Jon. I hope all goes really well for you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    rexter said:

Thanks everyone!

Great to hear you're OK Jon - and totally get what you mean about work/life balance and money. There's a huge part of me that wants to go back to being a writer, but I also understand that the journo lifestyle really isn't healthy for me... and I can't afford to live on the proceeds (unless I either suck corporate chod, forgetting I have any integrity etc or take on the pressure of being an Editor - neither appeals, so here I am back in the MI).

Two of my fave guitars are ones you created the bodies for and for that, I shall always be grateful. 

Don't be a stranger!
    Thanks Tim! Yeah work, life, money  :s ... funny - I didn't know you were a writer. I'm actually going back that direction, was a subeditor and designer before the guitars. I've moved into content design and strategy & copywriting again - definitely corporate chod, but at this point I'm fine with that, needs must!

It's been really hard to retrain myself into being able to sit at a desk/screen again, but after 6 months I can just about manage it now :)
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    I delivered a Tele with a truly gruesome finish to Jon and he transformed it into this:

Jon gave me plenty of progress photos and the communication was always great. I couldn't have wished for more.

Best wishes for a rosy future Jon. I hope all goes really well for you.
    Hey Jim, I remember that tele well. I have such a love of mahogany backs with metallic tops! Thank you :)
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Thank you Roland  :3
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    rze99 said:
    rexter said:

Thanks everyone!

Lovely to hear from you Jon and glad your return to normality is beneficial for you. 

Maybe your Rexter guitar finishes will become highly collectible …..in which case I’ll be Rich! 

Thanks Richard! So far so good, a lengthy break but needed it to tie up loose ends. Hope you're doing great.
    If they become collectible then yes - you've got a pretty nice portfolio set up there!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • hoopshoops Frets: 220
    All the best Jon. Goldtop you did for me is aging beautifully. Cheers.