Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Solo of the Month (SotM) #86 - Challenge - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Solo of the Month (SotM) #86 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
edited September 2022 in Making Music
This is the 86th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 23rd September 2022.

Discussion:
This backing track was kindly provided by @fastonebaz

You can download backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm86-fastonebaz-sunny-romp?si=0496cc40e96b47338204d83fbc621dc5&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Title: Sunny Romp

Tempo: 120 bpm

Structure:

[A, A6sus4, A, A]     x 2
[D, Dsus2, D, Dsus2]  x 1

[A, A6sus4, A, A]     x 2

[Bm / Cmaj7, Cmaj7]   x 3
[Bm / Cmaj7, D7]      x 1

[A, A6sus4, A, A]     x 3

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm86-2022-09?si=4b4b2cd02acc4bd9ad971ea2c26a738c&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I'll kick start the proceedings with an early entry.

My approach was fun, bouncy and lots of autowah.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2022

...My approach was fun, bouncy and lots of autowah.

Plus a large dose of Joe

I've Just realised where you got the title of the backing track from. Very clever. A play on Summer Song if I'm not mistaken

It's not a competition.
  • Mine's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Sent one in!
  • Sent one in!

That's 3 entries in the playlist already!

Let's hope this keeps up and the 'Sunny Romp' hasn't resulted in an early climax :)

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've got a couple of Joe Satriani's plectrums from The Extremist tour. I wonder if I use them if I could harness a fraction of his ability
  • I've got a couple of Joe Satriani's plectrums from The Extremist tour. I wonder if I use them if I could harness a fraction of his ability
    1990 vintage...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    1990 vintage...

So that's the secret to your powers. The surfing pick of destiny!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sent mine. Levels may be a bit shot as the wife is working next door so I've had to be very quiet - let me know and I can fix (I hate using headphones!!). Have to admitted I completely arsed up the fast solo bit over the Bm etc but luckily still hit the right notes!
  • Sent mine...
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Sent mine. Levels may be a bit shot as the wife is working next door so I've had to be very quiet - let me know and I can fix (I hate using headphones!!). Have to admitted I completely arsed up the fast solo bit over the Bm etc but luckily still hit the right notes!
    Bloody hell! - I've just listened to that!

Thats very impressive! - and your only over in Stroud - I might have to swap you a Fat Toni's for a quick lesson on those runs!!
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.

Thats very impressive! - and your only over in Stroud - I might have to swap you a Fat Toni's for a quick lesson on those runs!!
    I've eaten at Fat Tonis too, giant pizza mmm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

cheers - welcome to pop over whenever, particularly with all those amazing Hamers ;) Whereabouts are you then?

They are bloody great - large half Noahs ark and Dantes Inferno level 2 FTW!!!

I was hoping they would open a store a bit further down and over a bit - but not yet....

cheers - welcome to pop over whenever, particularly with all those amazing Hamers ;) Whereabouts are you then?
    Nice one :)

I'm just outside Chippenham - and the car knows the way over pretty well - we lived in Minch for year or so way back when as well.

Nice one :)

I'm just outside Chippenham - and the car knows the way over pretty well - we lived in Minch for year or so way back when as well.
    ah cool, not far then - I've got a mate in Malmesbury. Drop me a line when you fancy it then :)

they are awesome, although unfortunately my wife is not a massive fan of pizza so we don't get them often enough!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Loving the entries so far.   I captured mine on video too 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sent something in.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • Sent something in.
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.

nice. I really like that open harmonic run you do in the section section like in Just Like Paradise. Once again, wish I'd thought of that....
  • If anyone's got a backing track for the next one, it would be gratefully received. I'm a bit pushed for time this month, but I have an old one of mine I could use, as a last resort.

It's not a competition.
  • If anyone's got a backing track for the next one, it would be gratefully received. I'm a bit pushed for time this month, but I have an old one of mine I could use, as a last resort.

I've got 1 going spare, I'm quite enjoying making them currently. 
  • Entry closes tomorrow (23rd Sept) at midnight.
    It's not a competition.
  • sent mine in just before the closing gong :) , another great backing track
  • sent mine in...
    It's in the playlist. That makes 6 entries.

Entry closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.

nice. I really like that open harmonic run you do in the section section like in Just Like Paradise. Once again, wish I'd thought of that....
    I played Just Like Paradise on stage during my time in the Rock of Ages show,  it was ace, good old Diamond Dave.

I played Just Like Paradise on stage during my time in the Rock of Ages show,  it was ace, good old Diamond Dave.
    I’ve always wanted to do it in a covers band, it’s my fave DLR song by far…never happened though :(
  • Entry closed.
    It's not a competition.