Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PA Advice - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PA Advice

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
If you had the following set of requirements, what would you get? (Note, this isn't for me, I'm just gatheirng info and looking for ideas):
  • budget of around £1k
  • requirement for a PA system to cover a mix of indoor and outdoor venues, but not massive spaces, and at levels where people can still talk without shouting (i.e. we're not talking Wembley stadium deafen the crowd)
  • no particular preference over two speakers on poles or a column system
  • mostly will be used for a solo artist/duo with backing tracks (so 8 channels plenty) but occasional requirement for more channels (max 16)
  • preference for an analogue mixer, and certainly not anything that needs a tablet/laptop (so no XR18 style kit)

Not precious about it being new, but moderately time sensitive requirement, so readily available if second hand.

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Pete Is your £1k including all kit, speakers, mixer, cables etc? 

If so, it's a stretch, especially the occasional need for 16 channels. 

A basic mixer, with some useable DSP and a set of usable FoH speakers I'd think will be approaching double that. 

There is plenty of cheap gear out there that on paper fits the bill, but it genuinely is awful, and won't withstand the rigours of road use. 

I've tried and tested most PA gear, and get hefty education discounts from a lot of the bigger players, so I'm happy to chat through some recommendations if you want. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited August 2022
    Sounds like some of the clip togetherYamaha PAs might suit..  They make very good gear,  

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/pa_systems/stagepas_400bt_600bt/index.html

Save enough to buy an extra Yamaha MG10U to add more channels but the 600BT got plenty.

This for a permanent or mobile setting?
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited August 2022
    behringer mixer, carlsbro active 15" speakers, couple of mic cables.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    @Legionreturns it's  genuinely for a friend so can't answer everything. They already have speaker poles, cables etc. and a smaller PA with passive speakers (which will be sold). Mics, stands etc all exist already. Essentially it's active speakers and a mixer. 

I was thinking about it overnight, and I think they're going about it wrong. The 16 channel desk is for a one-off thing, and I think that's blinding them. They'd do better to get what they need for normal, and hire a bigger desk for one day. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    A 12 channel behringer is like 100 quid on ebay and it’s totally fine and colourless. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • In that case, definitely worth concentrating on the speakers. There are plenty of analogue mixers out there that can do the job. The Studiomaster ones are pretty good for a relatively small budget. The XS Club 12 is little over £200 and very capable alongside more expensive brands. 

For just tops, it's hard to look past the Yamaha DXR 12s, but they're above your budget. A comparable, or even better speaker, that doesn't get as much love, is the RCF Art 710s or 712s, which would both do a fantastic job. They're immense and around £400 each. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Thank you all!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I would just buy a pair of passive speakers, a power amp and an analog mixer. Easy get that for a grand and it would be more suitable for outdoors and indoor gigs than an active system. 
    It's very east to water protect a single amplifier that doesn't need to be near the speakers, not so much 2 speakers requiring 240V ..
    Old school A/B amps are also far more reliable than modern class D active speakers too  ... 20 to 30 years versus as little as 3 years in some cases when used on a regular basis. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chickenbonejohnchickenbonejohn Frets: 106
    edited August 2022
    I've been using Mackie 450 speakers (bought 2ndhand for £300 the pair if memory serves) for quite a while now, with a Mackie Pro FX12v2 mixer (digital effects and an EQ covers pretty much all I need to do), costing about £250 new. The only downside is that they are heavy-ish speakers, but are pretty much "industry standard" and there's usually some on sale somewhere.  The newer version of the desk is now about £300. If you need more channels only occasionally, its easy enough to "slave in" a cheap and cheerful 4 channel (I've got a Behringer that cost me £35).
  • 1K is a very tight for what you want unless you can buy mostly second hand

The 12" LD active cabs are excellent for the money

Mics
    Stands
    Cables
    Cases