Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sequis Motherload / Elemental vs the newer devices - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sequis Motherload / Elemental vs the newer devices

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
…such as the Suhr Reactive Load, Two Notes, Fryette etc

Obvious advantages are is
- the Sequis doubles as an attenuator
- has no fan / is silent
- I can take an FX send into my DAW and then add speaker IRs as desired

but are these newer devices significantly better?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    Anyone...?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bumping because I'm now wondering the same thing. The main selling point of the Suhr is that the impedance curve supposedly looks just like that of a celestion greenback, i.e. low frequency resonant peak plus rise at high frequencies. Does anyone know if the same is true of the motherload?
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    jaymenon said:
    …such as the Suhr Reactive Load, Two Notes, Fryette etc

Obvious advantages are is
    - the Sequis doubles as an attenuator
    - has no fan / is silent
    - I can take an FX send into my DAW and then add speaker IRs as desired

but are these newer devices significantly better?

I have 2 x Captors, 2 x Tube Town load boxes, Palmer ADIG-LB and three Palmer Power Pads here, and I've also previously owned the Suhr load box, Motherload and Marshall Power Brake, Weber MASS as well as several resistive attenuators (Jet City).

In regards to the impedance curve, the Tube Town and Suhr look closest to a typical speaker.  The Palmers and Two Notes do not.  Are the Tube Town and Suhr better?  In my experience noticeably different, but not better.  The difference between a resistive and reactive load is far greater than the difference between the Captor and the Suhr.  I didn't have the Motherload at the same time I had the reactive load boxes, and I don't even recall using it as a load box anyway, so I couldn't say how it'd compare.

Bumping because I'm now wondering the same thing. The main selling point of the Suhr is that the impedance curve supposedly looks just like that of a celestion greenback, i.e. low frequency resonant peak plus rise at high frequencies. Does anyone know if the same is true of the motherload?

I don't know how close the Motherload's impedance curve is to a real speaker, but I remember it being a very good attenuator.  I'd love another but they're a bit too pricey these days, same with the Powerbrake.  For me, an attenuator is great for knocking off a few db only - no matter how 'good' an attenuator is, amps still sound shit at high levels of attenuation where a decent reactive load box, IR and studio monitors give better results.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    The Tube Tone load boxes are great.
  • @Dodge thanks for the input, much obliged. I wasn't aware of the existence of the tube town load, will take a look.