Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). AUM (iOS app) !! - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

AUM (iOS app) !!

What's Hot
Ok so I'm sorta getting my head round this by using with a variety of synths and drum machin apps alongside the Gauss field recorder looper.

I could get lost in this for days.

What are you guys running in it, any apps to recommend? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 352
    edited July 2022
    Two quick tips: I learned this too late, but it’s worth saving a template you can use to build projects off of. Particularly useful for naming midi ports.

It’s not the most intuitive site, but I use https://www.cheapcharts.info/gb to watch for deals on plugins

recently I’ve been using EGLM1 for LinnDrum sounds a fair bit. The app could use a refresh, but I sequence it from Polybeat. Polybeat is a nice sequencer, but crashes fairly frequently for me, so don’t think I can recommend it

in terms of plug-ins ChowTapeModel is a nice tape warble effect and is free. There’s a whole load by the same guy, all free and well regarded.

i picked up a load of Eventide plugins, so working my way through them. 

Baby Audio do some nice free plugins which get a lot of use - Magic Dice and Magic Switch.

Audio Damage have a compressor Rough Rider which I use a fair bit. 

Synth wise I’m Animoog Z and Model D, although the latter is load. 

J_NO chorus gets a lot of use

I’m using Atom Piano Roll 2 for melodic sequences - it’s fairly deep. I’m just stating to work out how I might build tracks around it. It took some getting used to the idea that you use multiple instances of it to control different synths 

Looper sampler wise - i use Koala Sampler - requires extra purchase to use within AUM. I also use Enso - though it seems to lack some of the midi connections I’d want and l’m not super comfortable with it 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AUM recently had the ability to send master clock, so worth setting that up. Makes working with external gear a bit easier if you don’t have a master 
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 61
    I had a circuit tracks for a hot second, sent it bad cause it smelled so badly like plastic / petrol. The iPad mpk mini combo is proving to be a great alternative 
  • For drums I’ve been using the Model:Cycles. For me it’s a device that needs an envelope filter after it. Not always a a fan of the sounds but I find it pretty easy to use 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Silly question but I'm new to this, what's the benefit for the external drum machine? More control or taking a process out of the "computer"
  • I got the Model:Cycles before I started on AUM, so not sure if I'd get it now. The Model:Cycles is a knob per function groovebox, and I find that now I'm used to it I can get a reasonably complex beat going faster than anything else I've tried.

Having the knobs and physical sequencer buttons works really well for me. However you can achieve that using something like the Arturia Beatstep and hooking that up to your iPad (or more accurately six Beatsteps or 2 Beatstep Pros).  

The other advantage is that it's a bit easier to use with external gear like pedals. You also have something you can use independently. Once in a bluemoon I might take the Model:Cycles off by itself and noodle on it.

I wouldn't really worry about a hardware drum machine unless you see something that captures your imagination 
    I had obsessed over the circuit tracks, and tbh sending it back and buying the iPad was the best plan, between korg gadget, AUM, garageband and all the synths 
    Ooohhhhh and Eventide reverbs
  • There's a lot of great stuff out there. Getting the Eventide stuff is really neat given the prices. PaulXStretch is also worth looking at - it's a bit of a complex plugin and I've not spent a lot of time with it, but you can stretch samples by huge amounts. Currenlty free to try (requires installing Apple's TestFlight app)

Cheers for the recommendation!
    I'm eyeing up drambo and mirack (fell in a YouTube hole of modular synths, figure the app is the way to go over remortgaging)
  • d8md8m Frets: 2430
    I get alot of mileage out of the following lately:

Hammerhead
    https://ruismaker.com/hammerhead/

Poison 202
    https://www.jimaudio.pro/poison202/

Monolit (free!)
    https://www.bleass.com/monolit/

Pure Acid
    https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/pure-acid/id1481283602

Koala Sampler
    https://www.koalasampler.com/

Synths sequenced with drambo more often than not these day but if sticking with AUM I reccomend picking up Fugue machine!

Just both fugue the other day ... My YouTube feed is against me