Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Microphone recommendations for live work. - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Microphone recommendations for live work.

What's Hot
Our drummer does a lot of backing vocals and always gets feedback.

Because of how he sets the kit up the mic is directly above his monitor.

What would be a good directional mic for general vocals?

I don't know about budget but it needs to be good enough,  but probably not highest quality.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Sennheiser E945 is a good choice for drummer vocals .. it has a tighter pattern than a 58 but the spill is does pickup isn't as offensive as a 58's ... it's there but not as harsh. 

Could you get him on IEM's ? being static all a drummer needs is a set of IEM's and a £30 mic split headphone amp. There's no need for the normal wireless expensive IEM stuff for drummers
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    I use an e945 when singing (and playing guitar and drums) and really like it. Beware of eBay ones there are a lot of cheap fakes around.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    Consider a Shure Beta 56A.

R.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    A hypercardioid mic would be better than a cardioid in that role. 
  • The Se electronics V7 might be the job. That’s supercardioid. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Stuckfast said:
    A hypercardioid mic would be better than a cardioid in that role. 
    I switched from the Sennheiser cardioid to the equivalent hypercardioid. Can’t remember the product codes. It means that I have to get my lips right up to the mic to be heard, and clapping in the á Capella sections doesn’t really work (well, the audience see it, but they can no longer hear anything). For a drummer it would be ideal, especially on a boom stand where he can rotate it into the position. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Go IEM.. ours did.   Can be simple wired setup.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 363
    A Beta 56, Sennheiser 945, Audix OM7 would all be worth test driving. Good mic technique will help, getting in right up close to it. Ditching the wedge for a wired ears pack will help even more!