Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Old style drum machine - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Old style drum machine

What's Hot
Does anyone know of any simple drum machine that would allow me to use drum sounds and rhythms that you would find on old electronic organs?

I don't need a fancy machine - I'm not capable of programming one, and don't want to go down the DAW route. I just want something I can set going and play along to when the mood takes me.

Doesn't have to be vintage, but does need to be cost effective/ cheap :) 

This is amongst the range of sounds I have in mind. And no, I don't have space for an organ... Timmy Thomas - Why Can't We Live Together (1973) - YouTube 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited July 2022
    Also this:

https://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/cr78.php

I can't think of anything modern that doesn't have to be partially programmed.

Check out some videos of Alesis SR16/18, Elektron Model Samples.
    They are easy to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I've been looking at phone apps for something to play simple rock grooves (and not doing great so far) but there are lots of old style drum machine things coming up. Don't know how good they are especially through a phone speaker if you don't have anything else to play it through. 
    There's some great stuff though, some I think would take a while to learn how to get the best out of them.
    Maybe not quite as good as what @octatonic can recommend though I expect  :)
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 211
    I think actually @LastMantra what you describe may work for me. Do you have any particular app names I could look up?

I has an Alesis SR16 which I quickly moved on as I'd no idea how to get to grips with it. The Elektron looks interesting though @octatonic ;

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    iPhone/iPad with Garageband - just set the Drummer going (complex or simple as you want) and ignore everything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    goldtop said:
    iPhone/iPad with Garageband - just set the Drummer going (complex or simple as you want) and ignore everything else.
    This I was about to say identical. If you carry your phone around it's the easiest cheapest thing to do.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Alesis SR16 which I quickly moved on as I'd no idea how to get to grips with it.
    Understandable.

After decades of Roland TR machines, I found the Alesis counterintuitive.

If you want an organ top box full of preset rhythm patterns, an old CR-1000 should suffice. 

Just wondering out loud whether @HarrySeven has anything along these lines.

Be seeing you.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650
    @Funkfingers - I do, but it’s all ancient (and thus £££) stuff.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

I reckon the Garageband option is the best/cheapest.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Old stuff does turn up frequently though…

https://i.imgur.com/pLhTG74.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Behringer have a LinnDrum inspired machine in the works (though with the chip shortage it might be a few years away). Sounds are from the LinnDrum, but it’s got a lot of functional differences, so wouldn’t call it a clone 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/behringer-lmdrum-linndrum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Behringer have a LinnDrum inspired machine in the works (though with the chip shortage it might be a few years away). Sounds are from the LinnDrum, but it’s got a lot of functional differences, so wouldn’t call it a clone 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/behringer-lmdrum-linndrum

But it'll need programming, which the OP doesn't want to do. (And Behringer is pumping out so much vapourware at the moment, that I wouldn't hold my breath.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Old stuff does turn up frequently …
    … but YOU usually grab it first and add it to The Collective. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited July 2022
    I think actually @LastMantra what you describe may work for me. Do you have any particular app names I could look up?

I has an Alesis SR16 which I quickly moved on as I'd no idea how to get to grips with it. The Elektron looks interesting though @octatonic ;;;;;;;

Oh don't really know the names there was things I'd heard of like 808s and classics but just look up drum machine or something on Google play and you'll find loads of stuff. Don't know how good they are though, think you'd just need to try a few and see.
    I was looking for free stuff too, so maybe not the best. 

EDIT
    Ones I've been trying are... 
    RD4 (demo) - bit more EDM but nice to use.
    SPC (demo) - ditto above.
    Drumgenius - more what I was looking for, lots of pre-made grooves in different styles, but you can only choose 3 with the free version. You can change kits and sounds easily. Might actually pay for some more grooves for this one. It's pretty much what I am after, simple rock (has lots of other styles) loops to jam over.
    Seqvence - basically like a piano roll that you can easily make your own loops.

I downloaded a few "virtual kits" to mess around with too but not tried them much yet. They all seem quite similar so far.
    I have found one with a couple of useable patterns, so thanks for the tip @LastMantra ;

Thanks for everyone else's ideas too. I don't have Garageband, but this thread has helped and I have another idea I am working on. 

I'm one of those people who simply can't understand MIDI - no idea why as I am not a technophobe. If I did I am sure it would open up a whole new world for me.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Boss DR 550/660/880 simple old fashioned drum machine.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • The drumgenius app might be worth looking at, though you have to buy the loops https://www.projazzlab.com/drumgenius/

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited July 2022
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    The old M-audio black box might be worth a look. It's like an MFX box, with a tempo + start stop for drums, 99 drum rhythms to choose from. Nothing fancy to the beat, but very straight forward for messing around with.

Alternativly, the digitech trio "analyses" what you're playing and will add drums/bass to the loop.
    Thanks chaps.

I have a bid on ebay for something in the same ballpark as what @Stratavarious suggests above. If that falls through I may look more closely at the SA-46

The Black Box isn't something I'd heard of before now. Again, I will investigate. 
  • DRM-16 app. Basic, and turn a few knobs, and away you go
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 183
    Would something along the lines of a Yamaha RY8 fit the bill? I picked one up cheap a couple of years back just for messing around on. Possibly worth keeping your eye out for one as they're usually not too expensive.
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this one. Lots of interesting ideas.

I've now sorted something which may or may not work out for me - if it does I will record and post a track on here and see what people make of it.

• Late to the party but a hacked copy of band in a box would possibly suit the bill depending on your computer sound card 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • greejngreejn Frets: 112
    Boss DR-3 is one I really like, simple but great sounds, IMHO
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    edited October 2022
    If you mean a real old sounding analog the TT-78 by Cyclonic is a take on a Roland TR68 but no presets you have to program them from scratch. However there is a free/ donationware  plugin call BucketPops which is modelled on things like the Korg Minipops and has organ style cha cha bossa nova organ style presets. If you are after that David Bowie Low, Jean Michelle Jarre type of sound then it does it very well. 

• LordBucketHeadLordBucketHead Frets: 302
    edited January 2023
    I use this quite often. Just use the presets on the preset button (scroll down to see the full list). Alter the speed to suit. 
    https://tinyurl.com/2dubr9x6
    Fingerlabs DM-1 is available for both iPhone and Android devices.

Shedloads of kits. Easy step time programming or simply hit the Randomizer "button" until it spits out something usable.
    Be seeing you.