Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Saxophone for beginner - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Saxophone for beginner

What's Hot
My wife wants to learn to play Saxophone. She doesn't play any other instrument, except for a bit of drums which doesn't really count ;-)

I'm told by a colleague that a cheap Sax, plus some medium/soft reeds, and some free YouTube videos would be a good starting point.

When looking for beginner instruments, I think the 2 key elements are:
  1. cheap - so that the investment is not wasted should it not work out. Admittedly, a £3000 instrument might be sold on for £3000 with a net cost of zero, but we don't have that budget. Perhaps £300 but would be happy to spend £150 and it end up in the loft after a few months of trying.
  2. usable - something which is in tune, has easy to use valves for someone without the muscle dexterity, and is light enough to hold. Not like those cheap acoustic guitars with impossible actions and sharp frets.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    edited July 2022
    My thoughts:
    - Make sure she is ready for LOUD. It's LOUD, and it's very difficult to make it not loud. There are expensive ways that work, and there are cheaper ways (with sponges and stuff) that reduce volume to about 70%, which is still loud. 
    - Avoid crappy Staggs, etc. If she doesn't like it, she won't get half the cost of it back. I would buy a second hand Yamaha if I were to start again (I know I won't). 
    - A decent mouthpiece goes a long way.
    - Perhaps get a harness? An alto sax is half the weight of a regular Les Paul, but the distribution of weight felt way more awkward to me. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    Appreciate that it's not what you asked, but if there's somewhere nearby where she could have an introductory lesson on a rented instrument, I'd recommend that.

I played clarinet for a bit when I was at school (hated it!) and relied way more heavily on instruction than I did when learning piano or guitar. Everyone's different, though – might well be that your missus could make swift progress with Youtube videos. I'm just fairly confident that I wouldn't.

My brother is a very good saxophonist and I remember practice being something that the whole house had to 'enjoy', so be prepared for the volume a sax produces!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    John Packer do a fairly decent rental instrument, I rented the equivalent clarinet and it was OK. Get a good beginners mouthpiece like the yamaha 4c and she'll be fine.
    Musical Instruments UK For Sale | Woodwind & Brass | John Packer

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Music shops which supply school instruments often do rental schemes which can be converted to purchase if the student takes to the instrument.
    Yorkie said:
    ... I would buy a second hand Yamaha ...
    We went for Yamaha rather than a cheapo because it was more reliable, with a better sound. I can’t remember if it was new or secondhand.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    My first instrument is flute and I know (knew) a lot of saxophone players. The undisputed king of the beginner saxophone was always Yamaha,so thats where I'd be looking. Cheaper brands like Jupiter and Buffet had a good reputation but my knowledge is 20 years old... 

Also, in my experience there is a thriving rental market for "beginner" classical instruments. My first flute was rented from a shop and when I decided to stick with it they deducted the rental cost from the price of a purchase. I'd be surprised if that model doesn't still exist. 

I also thoroughly recommend a teacher, at least at first. Making a noise on a sax can be frustrating, and you want to get off on the right footing. 
    I also thoroughly recommend a teacher, at least at first. Making a noise on a sax can be frustrating, and you want to get off on the right footing. 
    Absolutely agree on this. It's not just about progress, it's also about not getting injured like I stupidly did. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    My daughter has a good beginner one that she doesn't use anymore.
    I'll ask her if she wants to sell if if you like?

Either way - there's a healthy used market.

Does your wife want alto or tenor?

Lessons are really needed - the embouchure needs to be right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    You can get bags and cases to control the volume

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1066
    My daughter has a good beginner one that she doesn't use anymore.
    I'll ask her if she wants to sell if if you like?

Either way - there's a healthy used market.

Does your wife want alto or tenor?

Lessons are really needed - the embouchure needs to be right.
    Yes please. I think Alto is the normal thing, so that's what my wife would want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    and this is a great UK based forum, lots of really knowledgeable and friendly folks there:

Forum list | CafeSaxophone Forum

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 2989
    tFB Trader
    Start with a pocket sax and some 1.5 reeds, once your embouchure is sorted you're golden

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

That sounds like a great thing to start with, and I bet it's not super loud. Not quite pocket sized, but who cares. 
    And so inexpensive it might have become Charlie Parker's weapon of choice back in the day!

• I still use a student alto, and I've been playing sax for 30 years: I've just got used to the ergonomics of it. I use a Yamaha YAS280, which is maybe the best student sax you can get, though it is over your budget. Sax.co.uk stock Sakkusu altos starting at £369:

https://sax.co.uk/collections/alto-saxophones

These are fine for someone who is starting out, the Sakkusus aren't designed for an experienced gigging saxophonist as it won't be as hard wearing for being played a lot, but the quality of lower-priced saxes has come on leaps and bounds since I started playing.

They also do a hire scheme on saxophones with an option to buy, which I think might be your wife's best option:

https://sax.co.uk/pages/saxophone-rental

Hope this helps, any other questions let me know.
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1066
    Rental option is very interesting, thanks @BintyTwanger77 ;

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 213
    For a beginner the Yamaha is a sound bet. They are probably just in budget for a decent 2nd hand one.

My eldest had one for many years then upgraded to a Yanigasawa which was absolutely awesome- Knocked the Selmer into a cocked hat. But that's for another day!
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 565
    Try the saxshack in Stoke. Guy who runs it is old school music nut who turned his hobby into a business. He usually has a good few 2nd hand beginner/ intermediate horns in stock and is incredibly helpful.
  • +1 for Yamaha. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    My wife’s best mate is a sax and clarinet teacher. She’s on holiday in Greece at the moment but I can ask for advice when she returns, if you would like me to. 

Obviously you already have plenty of suggestions above. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CHRISB50 said:
    My wife’s best mate is a sax and clarinet teacher. She’s on holiday in Greece at the moment but I can ask for advice when she returns, if you would like me to. 

Yes please.
    We think we'll start with a Xaphoon as th price is right, and they aren't huge things to lay around gathering dust. But, assuming interest remains high, it would be good where to go next.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    CHRISB50 said:

Yes please.
    We think we'll start with a Xaphoon as th price is right, and they aren't huge things to lay around gathering dust. But, assuming interest remains high, it would be good where to go next.
    No worries.

I'll speak to her when she is back and let you know.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I bought a Jupiter to learn on 20 years ago and still play it. It fairly quickly needed a pad service but it’s been ok.

my sister learnt on a Yamaha student model. She bought it on a rent to buy scheme.

the Yamaha was a better instrument
  • Rental to try out is a great idea

Yamaha saxes (pretty much all of them)

But if you wanted new (and there is an advantage for these kind of instruments) then you can't do much better than one of these

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_tas_180_alto_saxophone.htm

Costs less than a setup often needed with 'much loved' second hand one and almost certainly comes with a quibble-free warranty.

A few lessons tl get you started is always helpful.
  • You can get bags and cases to control the volume

I wouldnt know whether to play it or have s*x with it.