Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #84 - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #84

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #84. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @fastonebaz for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st July 2022.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    These were all great!

5 points - @digitalkettle  - always a very clean technique but with great melodic playing too, and that little run up to the closing few bars I mentioned when I first commented still seals it for me; wish I’d thought of that!

3 points - @stratman3142 - really as above; the first part was particularly nice phrasing-wise, and I love your use of the trem. Great playing.

1 point - @DigitalDave  - really liked the intro, much more restrained and subtle than the rest of us put together, plus some nice Vai-like phrasing after.

Everyone did a great job, and thanks again @fastonebaz for another fun backing :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    5pts @Vibetronic ; Superb.  Listening to it I felt like I'd just watched the greatest Hollywood blockbuster movie of the year, been through an intense gym workout with The Rock, and partied with 10 naked oiled up babes, all in one evening.  , Exhilarating, exhausting and put a big smile on my face.

3pts @digitalkettle ; Majestically creative, like a soundtrack to movie, very melodic and so precisely played, awesome.

1pt @stratman3142 ;.  Love that tone and some very tasty melodic phrasing.  I thoroughly enjoyed the frantic all guns blazing mid section, terrific.

Honourable mentions to @DrHungry ;, I really enjoyed the alternative style and the very nice harmonies, and to @DigitalDave ;with superb playing and numerous Vai-esque tones and phrases, lovely stuff.  Sadly not enough votes to go around.

I really struggled to think of something over this backing track (that I made!) but you guys smashed it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 5pts @digitalkettle
    3pts @Vibetronic ; 

I found it very hard to choose between Digitalkettle and Vibetronic. I think I found the entry of Digitalkettle had the most variety, while the soloing of Vibetronic was really pushing the backing track to even greater heights. It was more a case of personal preference and interest that I appraised the entry of Digitalkettle with 5pts.

1pt @stratman3142 ;

Great tone. Really stood out for me.

All great showplays of your capabilities on guitar and recording/mixing/mastering. Works like a motivator for me every time I hear you lot play to continue picking up the guitar and start playing.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited July 2022
    5 points : @Vibetronic :  Remarkable jaw dropping technique and superb virtuoso playing (as usual) with a strong sense of melody and musicality. Hugely inventive with loads of character and expression.

3 points : @Digitalkettle : Loads of variety in the ideas and sound. Good dynamics. Great melodies. Clean articulate playing. Nicely phrased.

1 point : @DrHungry :  Good low gain drive sounds. Great change of tone for the break with an eastern flavour. Loads of good melodic ideas.

It's not a competition.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Very close call between the top 2 here, but: 

5 Points @Vibetronic - Just finished mopping my face up from the desk, nifty work, nice layering and superb mix of technique.

3 Points @digitalkettle - I like the shift from the flange sounds to all out soaring lead and back again, some wonderful playing here.

1 Point @stratman3142 - My favourite of the more melodic ones, although still some very nifty finger work. great changes of phrasing and approach throughout.

Well done all round. Everyone played a blinder, really impressive.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    edited July 2022
    5 points for @Vibetronic : I said before "like a lost Vai solo"...simultaneously humorous and breathtaking...I could pretty much tell what was going on most of the time but, every now and then, wtf?!! Video breakdowns should be mandatory for Vibe's entries

3 points for @DigitalDave : bookended by sultry chordy stuff...pretty laid back...nice lydianisms, the odd animal noise, some of that atonal, symmetrical pattern stuff...nice.

1 point for @stratman3142 : thoughtful phrasing, solid articulation/tone, judicious usage of the 'fast pedal'

As ever, good stuff all round!
    Voting closes tomorrow (31st July) at midnight. 

It's not a competition.
  • 5 points: @digitalkettlefab melodic ideas and technique throughout 
    3 points: @Vibetronic : again, top notch all round, brings so much energy to the track! 
    1 point: @DrHungry ;: solid & tasty, love the eastern breakdown with harmonies

Enjoyed each entry, always tough to pick a top 3 , we’ll done all!
    Voting ends tonight at midnight.
    It's not a competition.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 104
    Late vote! Terrifying standard of entry this month, each and every one great and surprisingly hard to choose between, I'd have liked to give points all round. Thanks for the fun backing @fastonebaz .

5 points - @digitalkettle ;
    3 points - @stratman3142 ;
    1 point - @Vibetronic ;
  • Voting closed.
    It's not a competition.