Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Another Shoot-Out: The Mighty Nordvangs... - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Another Shoot-Out: The Mighty Nordvangs...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
edited July 2022 in FX
Next up on my shoot-out campaign, is between 2 Nordvangs; the Nordvang Gravity vs the '83 Drive.

I'm fairly new to the Nordvang range, having heard about them in very favourable reviews, and on here and TGP. My gas and interest were kindly fuelled by @Varan, who actually lent me the 83 - probably knowing that I was odds-on to buy it

In use, I'm trialing these 2 with a Two Rock Studio Signature, a 70th Anniversary Broadcaster, and a Masterbuilt '63 Strat; and comparing them to a KOT.

Background

Producing each pedal by hand and favouring a ‘quality over quantity’ approach, Nordvang uses the very best full-size components possible – including NOS germanium diodes, Vishay metal film resistors, Wima capacitors, Pure Tone jacks, Carling footswitches and Vimex sealed potentiometers. All of which explains the high prices… and the long waiting lists.

The packaging alone offers an insight into the whole quality ethos of the Nordvang range. A lovely robust box, with studs on the outside, and a wonderful hinged system. Like the very best effects, the love and detail of the packaging is reflected in the build, and these are nice pedals to 'own'.

These are superbly hand-made; just check out the insides below of the '83;

Nordvang '83 Drive

Danish designer Henrik Nordvang produces a range of dual and triple pedals based around various combinations of Klon, Blues Breaker and Tube Screamer circuits. The ’83 Drive features an original ‘black box’ Blues Breaker-style circuit in side A, and a Klon type in side B… with a few refinements such as switchable pedal order and different clipping options.

So, this model is a Blues Breaker on the left (A) and a Klon on the right (B). Numerous options to A/B or B/A and change the clipping on the Klon. The EQ is very good indeed, and compared to say a KOT, the gain can come into effect much lower - than say the 3 o clock usually needed on the KOT.

I naturally seem to favour BB and Marshall style pedals for my overdrive. I',m not sure why, but I seem to favour them for 'my' sound over the Tubescreamer types.

All sounds are instantly very pleasing. Even set at noon, it sounds great. Pick up selection is clear and there are natural harmonics flowing from the amp. The Two Rock itself is a brutal amp to expose 

i.) your errors as a guitarist

ii.) the nuance of every pedal

iii.) any excessive noise in the pedal

The '83 passes all tests here, and sounds great as an A/B or B/A, as a boost, overdrive and it seems to tighten up and plays nicely with other pedals.

This is the definite keeper. It suits my sound and my rig.

A great review here;

https://guitar.com/review/effects-pedal/nordvang-83-drive-v2-review/

Nordvang Gravity

Like its fellow stable mate, the Gravity is incredibly well made. Both of these pedals are v2, which means they can both be operated separately by a switcher - G3 Atom in my case. This makes them a really versatile option in reality.

As I've said previously, I do prefer BB and TS, but this pedal has shocked me. Great for solos, lots of sounds when blended with the Klon, and I'd imagine in a band setting that the Gravity would effortlessy cut through the mix and add those lovely mids.

The TS and the Klon are natural bed-mates, and if desired, the Mayer Continuum sounds are aplenty. But it doesn't end there, as classic rock/Tom Petty etc sounds are all there too.

I like owning these pedals, and they are very instinctive to use.

Conclusion 

My initial thoughts of the Nordvang, before I'd played one, was that they were expensive. I've since altered this view; two absolute top drawer pedals for £200 each ? That represents decent VFM imho, especially considering the build quality and 'love' that has gone into these.

I initially purchased both thinking that I'd sell one of them, and that might still be the case. But right now, I'm keeping both. My natural inclination towards BB style pedals means that Im not short of them. These combinations genuinely threaten my Custom KOT though, and maybe its time to cash in on their high prices.

Decisions, decisions. 

In all, the term 'classic' is often used liberally. However, I cannot see how these pedals can fail. Ownership, collection and gas aside, either of these Nordvang could be your one OD pedal on your board.

Be sharp though. Out of stock at the exclusive  UK supplier (Peach) and usually fetching £450-£500 used. 

Hand on heart, I cannot recommend them highly enough.

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Wow, great review thanks. 

I'm playing a Ceriatone Horsebreaker pedal as these legendary pedals you speak of are out of my reach. 

Will be sure to check out your other reviews. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1170
    I think they are a bit more than 200 quid each new. List price for the Gravity is £326 ex VAT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    I think they are a bit more than 200 quid each new. List price for the Gravity is £326 ex VAT.
    £200 per pedal (they are double pedals) i.e.) BB and Klon :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ah ok, comprende.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ah ok, comprende.
    My mistake for not making it clearer.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Nice review!  I did wonder what these were all about seeing them appear on various boards.

I did a similar head to head with a KOT and Protein Drive.  I preferred the latter and the KOT sale basically paid for it so it worked out well.  It was interesting just how different the blue side was different to the KOT.

Also love the ODR-1, not a massive Klon or TS fan to the Protein is the ideal for me, but all dual pedals should have an order switch on like the Nordvangs!

Nice review!  I did wonder what these were all about seeing them appear on various boards.

I did a similar head to head with a KOT and Protein Drive.  I preferred the latter and the KOT sale basically paid for it so it worked out well.  It was interesting just how different the blue side was different to the KOT.

Also love the ODR-1, not a massive Klon or TS fan to the Protein is the ideal for me, but all dual pedals should have an order switch on like the Nordvangs!
    Thanks mate.

You know, the dual pedal format has obviously come into fashion in the last few years, and I really liked the Duellist too.

I've never tried the Protein; but that looks an excellent option too, with again very favourable reviews.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1385

Thanks mate.

You know, the dual pedal format has obviously come into fashion in the last few years, and I really liked the Duellist too.

I've never tried the Protein; but that looks an excellent option too, with again very favourable reviews.
    Waz, I’d be interested in your thoughts on how these pedals compare to the Duellist. Not necessarily a “which is best” type thing, just an objective comparison on how they line up. 
    How very rock and roll
    edited July 2022

Waz, I’d be interested in your thoughts on how these pedals compare to the Duellist. Not necessarily a “which is best” type thing, just an objective comparison on how they line up. 
    Hi Ben, here's the thing...

Typically, I don't own the Duellist now, although I've owned a few in the past (including a gorgeous green one) so a direct comparison is not available. However, I did really like the Duellist but rarely used the TS side.

I do really like the TS side on this Gravity, so I can only conclude that this TS must be better. As I said, previously, these Nordvang do seem to be very good indeed, and even @Gassage has one on his board I've noticed.

I personally believe that the way in which the Nordvangs stack and interact with each other is unique. There seems to be a balance, and interaction which is really pleasing to use.

With regard to King Tone Pedals, I do think that they are well made too; when I last played live and at rehearsal, I reckon I could've virtually lived alone with a KOT and the Blues Power.

The Blues Power is one of my favourite ODs and I will buy another at some point.

Hope that helps !

PS - I'd like to own my green one again :)

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1385
    Wazmeister said:

I personally believe that the way in which the Nordvangs stack and interact with each other is unique. There seems to be a balance, and interaction which is really pleasing to use.

Thanks mate, its this line that intrigues me most. I love my Duelliest, it was a "never sell" pedal for me (still is tbh). But I find myself using each side in isolation, I'm not overly keen with how they stack. I'll caveat that with the fact that I'm a low volume, bedroom player these days!

That being said, I'm not spending for the time being so it's all irrelevant ;)

I appreciate your response though mate, thank you. 
    How very rock and roll
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    Excellent review, Waz. Must confess, I'd never heard of Nordvang before - I will definitely be checking them out now.  :-)
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1003
    edited July 2022
    I bought that green Duellist from the Waz man -  my indifference to the TS side led to it being moved on (via the forum) but I can’t remember who it went to. Great minds appear to have thought alike though. 
    Wazmeister said:

Thanks mate, its this line that intrigues me most. I love my Duelliest, it was a "never sell" pedal for me (still is tbh). But I find myself using each side in isolation, I'm not overly keen with how they stack. I'll caveat that with the fact that I'm a low volume, bedroom player these days!

That being said, I'm not spending for the time being so it's all irrelevant ;)

I appreciate your response though mate, thank you. 
    You know, this might be the difference with the Nordvang stuff; how the two sides stack together. They seem in harmony to me, not ‘fighting’ each other.

It reminds me of when you have two different pick ups - eg.) Huber Krauster ii - where the two seem to blend well and compliment each other.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Bloody brilliant things. I bought one and made £1200 on the deal, selling a KTR and a KOT, neither of which are as good as the BB and Klon parts of the Nord!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• oeljadioeljadi Frets: 11
    @Wazmeister - Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but do you still feel the same way about these Nordvang pedals? Any update? Have you tried a Cogmeister at all? If so, any comparison? Thanks!
    oeljadi said:
    @Wazmeister - Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but do you still feel the same way about these Nordvang pedals? Any update? Have you tried a Cogmeister at all? If so, any comparison? Thanks!
    Hiya mate,

Yes, I do feel the same about Nordvang. Superbly mate, and that 'cut above' most OD pedals.

I still own a Nordvang - the No.1 Signature, which is their wonderful Klone.

And I've never tried the Cogmeister, although it has peaked my interest !

@dangriffiths has good ears, and maybe able to help here :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 535
    The 83 Drive and the No.1 Signature are great. I did prefer the Klon side of the 83 Drive to the signature in the end but it was minor and I needed the space so sold the larger pedal. Build quality and most importantly sound is ace - Shawn Tubbs demo is pretty good and there are a few others worth listening to. Rather have an 83 Drive than a KOT. I was tempted with the double klon wingman too as having one for clean boost and one to actually use the pedal would be handy.

Cogmeister is a little different - more versatile and could be your only drives with maybe a fuzz to round it out depending on music. Some decent demos online but not lots - everything Dan designs is great so i would recommend but it is quite different so can't really compare them.
  • oeljadioeljadi Frets: 11
    Thanks so much Wazmeister and Dan - really helpful. 
    Presumably the Klon-Klone-containing Nordvangs have some sort of voltage boosting going on, which presumably also applies to the other circuits in there? 

I have a Fuzzdog clone of the KOT which is switchable between 9 and 18v, and I much prefer the 18v as it sounds more “amp like”

Those of you who compared the KOT to the Nordvang BB circuit, what voltage were you running the KOT at?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I’ve had a gravity….far too revealing for me at home…but I’ve got a Signature incoming