Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Help with line outs etc - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Help with line outs etc

What's Hot
Hi All, 

So I have a zoom R16 which is fantastic we will be using this for our demo however when i plug the line outs into it ,it mutes the speaker in the guitars/Bass amps,  I know this is probably basic  howevr I have only ever recorded using moddlers and audio interfaces so recording our jams seems like a lost art.
How do I record the amps whilst also hearing them directly from the amp itsself., ?

Thank you 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Matt, I'm a Level 4 Coach.

Lineouts are one of my key foci- especially maul defence. DM me.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5820
    Gassage said:
    Matt, I'm a Level 4 Coach.

Lineouts are one of my key foci- especially maul defence. DM me.
    James you wonderful man............I don't have a clue what you mean :D:D but I shall assume Cricket??
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bump up so it'd seen.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Nothing? 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    edited July 2022

When you say 'line outs' I assume that we are talking either headphone outs or effects sends on the guitar / bass amps?  If it's the headphone out then inserting a jack will break the signal chain.

Some more details as to what exactly you are trying to connect to would be useful before suggesting a solution.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    I assume these are basic amps where you are using a headphone out.

You'll fix your problem and sound way way better if you buy two audix i5 mics and mic the speakers. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Generally to record a bass either use the DI out of the amp if it has one or buy a £20 DI box and plug the bass into that then the thru to the amp and the DI out to the recorder. 

You can use the line out / effects send of a modelling amp but you need to make or buy a Y cable, otherwise the signal flow will be broken and you won't be able to monitor through the amp as you are playing. 

Personally I would buy 2 x Behringer XM8500 @ £20 each and just mic the guitar amps up to record. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    Yep.. DI the bass.. i use an active DI box with a thru to the amp.

Mic close on guitar amp will likely sound better than the usual DI outs. 
    Thanks guys just what I needed :) 
    Musicwolf said:

When you say 'line outs' I assume that we are talking either headphone outs or effects sends on the guitar / bass amps?  If it's the headphone out then inserting a jack will break the signal chain.

Some more details as to what exactly you are trying to connect to would be useful before suggesting a solution.

I'm sure  it's all there dude, the line out from the guitar amp (not headphones but the line out on the back of the amp) into a zoom r16 digital mixer, basically I want to hear the amp not just what's coming out of the digi recorder 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    Musicwolf said:

I'm sure  it's all there dude, the line out from the guitar amp (not headphones but the line out on the back of the amp) into a zoom r16 digital mixer, basically I want to hear the amp not just what's coming out of the digi recorder 
    I can't recall ever having come across a line out that mutes the speaker, hence the request for details (make / model etc)

As per previous posters, if this is a basic line out without speaker emulation then you would be far better off using a budget mic.  My favourite for quick recording is a Behringer B906 (a cheap copy of a Sennheiser e906) which does a reasonable job for c£30.  Bass I normally just DI.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think you're right, mic is probably the way to go