Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Glastonbury/Noel Gallagher content. - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Glastonbury/Noel Gallagher content.

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
I’ve just been watching some of Glastonbury on iplayer. Now I’ve always tried to stay out of the Noel Gallagher threads because he’s written some great songs and as much as I’m not a fan. I accept lots of people are.

However the second song he played called Holy Mountain had the horn intro from Roxy Music’s Let’s Stay together at the start then this has been bolted to the vocal hook from Ca Plane Pour Moi (that French hit in all the adverts). 

I mean you can sing along to the fucking thing. I know someone will be along in a minute to tell me how much richer and successful he is than me. But then when I accidentally rip off other artists. My band mates usually stop me from taking it further. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    David Holmes (producer of who built the moon) basically played him the two samples as a challenge to write a song. You also missed the fact it’s she bangs by Ricky martin 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Theres only 7 notes in a key - are suggesting that he's the only one to reuse note progressions? Did you enjoy it? Or are you into random atonal bleeps. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    The man can't win - if he was still writing Oasis tunes he'd get shit for that instead. I like his solo records.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    mrkb said:
    Theres only 7 notes in a key - are suggesting that he's the only one to reuse note progressions? Did you enjoy it? Or are you into random atonal bleeps. 

The man can't win - if he was still writing Oasis tunes he'd get shit.  

I’m having trouble with these grey boxes.

He just has to stop lifting other peoples work. I’m amazed he’s not sued. Most other artists manage it.  You can hear influences in all bands. I mean Fontaines DC are straight out of the 80’s post punk playbook. But they weren’t using whole sections of Death Disco. 

He is the only one people spot though.

I found his set weird. I think Liam has been the cleverer of the two. He’s giving his audience the Stella Artois terrace anthems. But with the high flying birds. I just found it washed over me. It wasn’t awful, it didn’t engage me. But spotting the hooks of such famous songs. It undermines him tbh. We aren’t doing this with anyone else so clearly it’s a problem he has. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited July 2022
    Talent borrows, genius steals

I would note that a few horn stabs are the brass-section equivalent of playing E power chords. What do you want?

Many people got it in their heads he was no more than a Beatles copyist in 1995 (when in reality he stole far from from Slade, T Rex and the Sex Pistols). Frankly, I just don't care - the man wrote half the soundtrack to the 90s
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

I would note that a few horn stabs are the brass-section equivalent of playing E power chords. What do you want?

Many people got it in their heads he was no more than a Beatles copyist in 1995 (when in reality he stole far from from Slade, T Rex and the Sex Pistols). Frankly, I just don't care - the man wrote half the soundtrack to the 90s
    Which is why it’s sad to see someone at that level ripping off obvious hooks. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    jeztone2 said:

Which is why it’s sad to see someone at that level ripping off obvious hooks. 
    No... nobody else ever does it (plus I don't think it is a thing, but I'll raise one thing at a time...)

Unrelated link...

Another unrelated link...

A third unrelated link....

a totally unrelated clip of a classic band pointing out themselves they nicked a riff..

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Yes all artists can plagiarise. Give yourself a star. But if I’d “soundtracked a decade”. I’d be hoping to not do it so obviously. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    Are you just ignoring the post by @lustycourtier that explained they were samples?

I thought he played a good set, got the crowd warmed up for Paul McCartney with some Oasis classics. Like them or not, the crowd loved them and sang along in their thousands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Something something Bittersweet Symphony something 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

edited July 2022
    Are you just ignoring the post by @lustycourtier that explained they were samples?

I thought he played a good set, got the crowd warmed up for Paul McCartney with some Oasis classics. Like them or not, the crowd loved them and sang along in their thousands.
    Exactly Oasis Classics. I get why people love them. But I’m struggling to see the point of HFB. I watched the Sky Arts thing he did during lockdown and found that underwhelming. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    If you’re in the market for hearing Oasis songs live, really Liam has that market sewn up.

Noel must be seething.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    edited July 2022
    jeztone2 said:

Exactly Oasis Classics. I get why people love them. But I’m struggling to see the point of HFB. I watched the Sky Arts thing he did during lockdown and found that underwhelming. 
    So you watched the literal programme on the making of the song and album you’re talking about, which also mentioned the producer and the samples but only now mentioning it? 

I played in a HFG tribute for quite a few years and The solo songs went down as well as the oasis stuff, but Noels finally realised he’s only going one way unless he does the original versions of them songs again. Sad thing is he’s a bitter angry man nowadays so pleasing his fans isn’t his thing 

So you watched the literal programme on the making of the song and album you’re talking about, which also mentioned the producer and the samples but only now mentioning it? 

I played in a HFG tribute for quite a few years and The solo songs went down as well as the oasis stuff, but Noels finally realised he’s only going one way unless he does the original versions of them songs again. Sad thing is he’s a bitter angry man nowadays so pleasing his fans isn’t his thing 
     Yes and now you mention it, I’d forgotten all of it. It made that much of an impression on me. The only tune I can remember is that one they used in the Vauxhall cars/ England Squad advert with the Piano riff. That’s quite a good one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    He rarely writes a bad song to be fair, even his Christmas song, Wandering Star a few years back was better than just about every other modern Christmas song I've heard. 
    He does tend to borrow melody and chord changes in chucks, then bolt them in his own songs. There's so many times he's done that it's hard to pick one or two .. he does it all the time but not to the point it's stolen completely  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    jeztone2 said:

Well I suspect people are struggling to see the point of whatever band it is you like that they don't like aren't they?

Even by TFB standards "I don't like them so I can't see the point" is staggeringly narcissistic!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I didn't watch his set but I find it hilarious that he got completely battered afterwards and used his AAA pass to wave his entourage onto the disabled viewing platform

Joking about throwing people out of wheelchairs is distasteful though, he should know better
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    roberty said:
    I didn't watch his set but I find it hilarious that he got completely battered afterwards and used his AAA pass to wave his entourage onto the disabled viewing platform

Joking about throwing people out of wheelchairs is distasteful though, he should know better
    While speaking on Matt Morgan's podcast, Noel said the group “couldn’t get to the bit on stage because we were f***ing wasted”, so he “flashed my pass and said this lot are with me and we walked on to this platform - unbeknownst to us it was the disabled platform”.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Exactly, look at him
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    He the most talented member of oasis I suppose.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    His solo music is utterly tedious, and he’s a massive prick. Apart from that, I quite like him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    I liked Oasis but never liked any of Noel's or Liam's solo stuff.  However, just recently there was a doc on Sky Arts (?) where Liam went out to that recording studio where Queen recorded Bohemian Rhapsody and was pleasantly surprised by some of his solo stuff.

Then I watched Noel Gallagher at Glastonbury and thought his band were superb. Hats off to both of them, they don't need to re-form Oasis, they're doing ok as they are.

No problems with any band using old melodies. All the best ones have probably been used up, so it's to be expected that as time goes on songs are going to sound alike, either deliberately so or by accident. But for me, a good tune is a good tune and always a pleasure to listen to.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    I liked the set and his live band are very good. I do have a feeling he's trying to re-write Wonderwall with the acoustic stuff as he usually uses G and Em shapes. 

Personally I like Liam's recent solo stuff better, and faintly hope for an unlikely Oasis reunion but its probably never going to happen.