Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). jazz me up - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

jazz me up

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    We do have it but it's painfully embarrassing - I look like a confused dork. I can't stand watching it. Every time Jan says something I just don't understand what he means. So yes I have it. Can you see it? Haven't decided yet! :)
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hey @viz, that would be really special, even if its not through theFB, I would still love to see it.
    Maybe @Fretwired would be good enough to help us understand whats going on.
    I know he said that Jan has a wicked sense of humour, so maybe he was just winding you all up  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    There are some bits when he's definitely ripping the piss out of me, no question. :)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2013
    @ICBM said:
    ... Don't forget Big Band and WWII-era Swing either... Glenn Miller, for short :).
    I had never really warmed to swing, maybe I was born too close to it, it just seemed "has-been" and an older generations music, until:

After a marquee event at the amazing Sir Harold Hillier Gardens near Southampton, I walked about a hundred yards into the top of an arena type space, and they were finishing setup for a Swing evening, period correct uniforms, period vehicles,  we stayed on for the event, and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable impromptu evenings I have ever spent.

Beautiful sunset, great music, fantastic atmosphere, and with all the period correct stuff it felt like being transported to a different place and time, one of those magical experiences.

"never under estimate the power of music to move your soul"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Kind of Blue turned up today, after a couple of plays this afternoon I find myself liking the piano more than anything else so who is worth a listen?
    Thelonius Monk
    Errol Garner
    Oscar Peterson

And to back up Jalapeno, Count Basie and Duke Ellington.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1669
    Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    viz said:
    There are some bits when he's definitely ripping the piss out of me, no question. :)
    @viz Jan's not a fan of music journalism or the music industry [an ex manager ripped him off badly] and he does have a wicked sense of humour. I think you have to get on his wave length and if interviewing him avoid talking about Focus. You're not the first to suffer - I got him an interview with Total Guitar round about 2000/2001 - they published it, with a little help, and reviewed his album Focus in time. I wouldn't mind seeing it as well ... go on viz ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @ChrisMusic check this out .. the DVD's ace. Had the band in the back of my wife's car up while on a UK tour. I was navigating and we ended up driving round and round Port Sunlight [as I got lost] much to the amusement of Jan ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Now this is seriously cool .....

Fretwired said:
    viz said:
    @viz Jan's not a fan of music journalism or the music industry [an ex manager ripped him off badly] and he does have a wicked sense of humour. I think you have to get on his wave length and if interviewing him avoid talking about Focus. You're not the first to suffer - I got him an interview with Total Guitar round about 2000/2001 - they published it, with a little help, and reviewed his album Focus in time. I wouldn't mind seeing it as well ... go on viz ... :-)

I can't find it! Honest. Will keep looking. Yep he's definitely got a wicked sense of humour. After the interview we went round the back of the venue so he could have a smoke and he became intelligeable again! :)
  • Oh Yes @Fretwired, I like that.  :)

Also nice to have the personality, and the person, behind such great music too, it gives the appreciation another more human dimension.

• John McLaughlin

The last part of Jazz Guitar Greats

Available until sometime on Tuesday 24-09-2013        (you know what a controlling **** the BBC is over this stuff)

"The final episode of Moira's journey into the lives of some of jazz's most prolific guitarists sees her in deep conversation with John McLaughlin in an exclusive interview recorded at his home.

Hear him recount tales of his illustrious career so far, including jamming with Jimi Hendrix and working with Miles Davis."

• Join Martin Taylor for a Free Live Online Workshop October 1st!

“Solo Fingerstyle Guitar Live” will stream live at MartinTaylorGuitar.com and at www.JustinGuitar.com.
    note - the Martin Taylor link forwards to his ArtistWorks page

Got this announcement through my ArtistWorks subscription, thought some of you may be interested.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ArtistWorks and JustinGuitar.com are presenting a free online workshop featuring world-renowned solo jazz guitarist Martin Taylor.

The workshop takes place online October 1st at 8PM GMT - 1 PM Pacific Daylight Time.

Guitar enthusiasts will be treated to impromptu performances, techniques and tips for fingerstyle players, and Q&A with the legendary solo jazz master himself. To sign up for the event and receive an event reminder, click here.

Pat Metheny called Martin Taylor “one of the most awesome solo guitar players in history.” Jeff Beck says “He out-shreds all of us put together.” He's received 15 British Jazz Awards, a Grammy nomination, and in 2002 was appointed an MBE by the Queen for "Services to Music

Just off a successful world tour with fellow great, Tommy Emmanuel, in support of their latest CD “The Colonel and the General,” Taylor now treats fans to a free hour of all things guitar.

“Solo Fingerstyle Guitar Live” will stream live at MartinTaylorGuitar.com and at www.JustinGuitar.com.

JustinGuitar.com Founder, Justin Sandercoe will moderate the event which will include members of Taylor’s Online Fingerstyle Guitar School as well as surprise guests.