Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Software and library management - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Software and library management

Probably more of an opinion question as everybody probably does things differently.
I have a number of drives on my PC. A small but fast Nvme boot drive, a slightly slower Nvme drive for program files (other than music stuff, i.e. games library) a large SATA SSD for all my music stuff and two spinning rust drives for archival. All backed up to a NAS.
Now to the problem I like to install all my music stuff (DAWs, VSTs, sample Libraries, Kontakt, Decent Sampler) to the large SATA SSD, but I find that a lot of software (especially Kontak) is very very sensitive to file placement, i.e. a lot of the time it expects files to be on the C drive often hidden away in the /User directory structure.
How to you organise your software do you just let the software do a default installation?
It's getting quite frustrating adding in path information with still no guarantee it will pick up the latest instrument I've downloaded (especially Kontakt when not downloading from the official site, i.e. stuff from the pianobook community.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    edited June 2022
    I know it is a drag, but sometimes it is good to have an inventory of the stuff we actually need, and things like Kontakt might need a fresh install to get the path to work correctly.
    I have the same issues, as my needs have evolved slower than a lot of the software, eg, Slate now comes with it's own programme manager for it's VST, and Spitfire does the same thing.
    Often these come with a default path, which gets overwritten on an update ?, I'm not sure, but can see how it could lead to problems with certain patches.
    As I said, it is helpful to actually have a folder structure written down, to see what might be missing, and there are plenty of videos around that show best practice for things like having Logic libraries on external drives.
    Sometimes it is nice to have a new machine, as an excuse to set things up from a fresh state, using libraries already stored on externals,  and then a faster drive will come along, and the process will repeat itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    I used to have massively over-complicated partitions and drives to get neat separation of things and improve performance.

However, years of getting massively pissed off with badly written software that includes hard-coded paths that absolutely should not be hard-coded has gradually moved me to a position where (more or less) software gets to install itself where it wants to, but all actual data/content is where I want them, not necessarily where the system defaults to.

I then run a separate "Installers" directory with sub-directories for each package/VST/whatever that the downloaded installers go to.

Nothing else matters that much. Realistically nothing I do needs to be on the bleeding edge of performance, so trying to organise storage to get that is wasted effort. As long as the data is backed up, and I have a library of "stuff I have installed" that is also backed up and can be re-run if the worst happens ... happy days.