Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Composition Challenge #36 - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Composition Challenge #36

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
edited September 2022 in Making Music
Time for round #36 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME
The alliterative theme for this one is: Murder Mystery Movie Music. 

Interpret the theme as you wish. To encourage entries the theme isn't mandatory, but you might get more votes if you do something that's in some way linked to the theme. That depends on how individuals choose to vote.

Compose a tune, or recycle something you've composed previously.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory.

DATES AND VOTING
The submission deadline is midnight 31st October (Edit 31.08.22 : extended from 30th Sept to 31st October)
Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The entry with the most points wins.
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk
Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

ENTRY PLAYLIST
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Just a reminder that there's still a composition challenge. Hopefully there's enough interest to keep this going.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I will try something, really wanting to get involved but the last two being soundtrack stuff hasn’t inspired, would be good to change it up for a more musical genre theme next time maybe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindude said:
    I will try something, really wanting to get involved but the last two being soundtrack stuff hasn’t inspired, would be good to change it up for a more musical genre theme next time maybe. 
    OK. I'll try that next time. Any suggestions for a genre?
    It's not a competition.
  • Just to note that (as stated in the original post) the theme isn't mandatory. You can submit any composition.
    It's not a competition.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    Just to note that (as stated in the original post) the theme isn't mandatory. You can submit any composition.

That's a good point actually. I think maybe the round with scoring the video clip might have confused that a little.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    edited August 2022
    I've been working on something...it started off as a standard murder mystery score but slowly developed into more of a sci fi murder mystery  B
  • I've been working on something...it started off as a standard murder mystery score but slowly developed into more of a sci fi murder mystery  B
    I'm glad someone's on it. I'll make a start soon.

It's not a competition.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    I'd love to be involved, but work/life has been so full on over the last few months I've not had the time to do much music at all, barely even picked up a bass/guitar even. I'll give this a go though, will do my best to get something in, even if it's a bit duff!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2022
    Snap said:
    ....will do my best to get something in...
    That's good to hear.

@Snap and @Springywheel, I was planning to extend the deadline for this another month to 31st October, if that's OK with you.

I'm a bit pushed because I'm learning songs for a band, listening to songs for theFretboard jam at the beginning of October, plus I'm away two weeks inbetween.

It's not a competition.
  • Yeah that's fine to extend another month
  • If I can beat procrastination and finish what I’m working on, I’ll enter
  • If I can beat procrastination and finish what I’m working on, I’ll enter
    Good. I've extended the deadline to 31st October.
    It's not a competition.
  • oafoaf Frets: 293
    I'm working on something... trying out my new Cubase 12 Pro install!
  • One from @Springywheel in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    Well, on Saturday I got three minutes of something recorded. Sounding promising. So, come what may, I will get something in for this one. Hopefully I get it to somewhere near finished too. Whether it is "on theme" though is a bit debatable..!
  • The theme is open to very flexible interpretation, or you could just ignore it :)
    It's not a competition.
  • Nearly done. I think. I'll listen to it tomorrow. How's everyone else getting on?

It's not a competition.
    Average - I'll have something done, but whether it's finished as I'd like is another thing! 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited October 2022
    Mine's in the playlist. That makes two.

Entry closes at midnight 31st October.

It's not a competition.
  • oafoaf Frets: 293
    That's mine sent in! Weeks ago I read the competition posting and then I (mis)remembered it as being for a TV theme rather than for film; but I guess something is better than nothing and it's close enough :) I was going for a fairly light-hearted TV show mystery/drama vibe, so nothing too spooky or heavy!
  • oaf said:
    That's mine sent in! ...
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Snap said:
    Well, on Saturday I got three minutes of something recorded. Sounding promising. So, come what may, I will get something in for this one....
    @Snap do you think you can do it by midnight tonight? If you're close I could extend the deadline a bit if it's OK with everyone else.

It's not a competition.
    ah shine on, I forgot mate, sorry! Don't hang around for me, that's not fair on everyone else. 
  • Snap said:
    ah shine on, I forgot mate, sorry! Don't hang around for me, that's not fair on everyone else. 

I'm starting the voting soon. You can submit whle the voting is underway. There's just a risk that you might miss out on votes if someone's already cast their votes by the time you submit.

It's not a competition.
    Snap said:

I'm starting the voting soon. You can submit whle the voting is underway. There's just a risk that you might miss out on votes if someone's already cast their votes by the time you submit.

I'll get a quick mix out later this afternoon. Thanks. I totally forgot about this yesterday!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I actually have a track that would probably be appropriate, but it's also being used for a Elektronauts competition where the voting is anonymous so I'm not sure if I should share it.
  • Happy to take any other entries, even though the deadline has passed. I'll probably start the voting thread tomorrow, as I'm a bit busy today.
    It's not a competition.
    Sent in! Not entirely pleased with it, very quick mix and master, but there you go, it's sort of murder mystery, though I was thinking more spy film.
    Will try to work more quickly next time
    J
  • I actually have a track that would probably be appropriate, but it's also being used for a Elektronauts competition where the voting is anonymous so I'm not sure if I should share it.
    Have you got a link to that competition. It sounds interesting?

It's not a competition.
  • Snap said:
    Sent in
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.