Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NPD - HX Stomp XL - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NPD - HX Stomp XL

What's Hot

So my new Stomp XL has turned up and it is a massive improvement for me, having owned a standard stomp for a while.  The functionality is amazing, really like a mini LT when you add an expression pedal.

The fact you can see 6 effect slots, hands free edit, 6 button looper, all mean I can get much more out of the unit. 
I was a bit meh when this was released but now I have it it makes sense, size wise it's still small enough to integrate into a traditional pedalboard setup and as I add other pedals I can make the most out of the midi control if required.  

I also considered IR-200, GX-100, UA Dream and Pod Go, but happy I kept with the HX now I can get more out of it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Six months on, how are you going with it? I'm thinking of buying one as the current offer of 'Buy Helix, get Native free' is too good to pass up. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Six months on, how are you going with it? I'm thinking of buying one as the current offer of 'Buy Helix, get Native free' is too good to pass up. 
    Where is this deal? I’ve just taken delivery of an XL myself. 
    I can’t fault it to be fair.  It is much easier to use than the regular Stomp, just enough footswitches to do anything you would want, so less of a frustration for me than the smaller version.

Effects are good but not stopping me wanting a separate delay and mod, but not much would, and I have space on my board, ready to scratch that itch.

@chrisj1602 here you go :)

https://uk.line6.com/total-guitar-recording-bundle/

Where did you buy yours? 

• I can’t fault it to be fair.  It is much easier to use than the regular Stomp, just enough footswitches to do anything you would want, so less of a frustration for me than the smaller version.

Effects are good but not stopping me wanting a separate delay and mod, but not much would, and I have space on my board, ready to scratch that itch.
    Interesting... I had a Helix LT and Native, sold them both. The LT was simply too much for what I wanted. I loved Native but wasn't playing enough, a few personal things took over. Now things are better and I find myself wanting an XL as it syncs so well with Native. 

That you find yourself getting on with it better than the Stomp is pushing me to get Paypal Credit out. 

@chrisj1602 here you go :)

https://uk.line6.com/total-guitar-recording-bundle/

Where did you buy yours? 
    Thanks, I’ll be getting that!

Got mine here…

https://jgwindows.com/line-6-helix-hx-stomp-xl-multi-effects.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA76-dBhByEiwAA0_s9e3aicF3ua5PEV7aKVMshxOv8Y8lYKAmrAYJBtSvrekrnhcAB0evbhoCawoQAvD_BwE
  • Thanks for that :) I think I shall put in an order :) 

• I can’t fault it to be fair.  It is much easier to use than the regular Stomp, just enough footswitches to do anything you would want, so less of a frustration for me than the smaller version.

Interesting... I had a Helix LT and Native, sold them both. The LT was simply too much for what I wanted. I loved Native but wasn't playing enough, a few personal things took over. Now things are better and I find myself wanting an XL as it syncs so well with Native. 

That you find yourself getting on with it better than the Stomp is pushing me to get Paypal Credit out. 
    Yes mate it’s a good unit.  Closer in functionality to the LT which I missed with the original Stomp.
    Things like edit mode to change parameters on the fly, 6 button looper and the way the screen shows 6 footswitch slots make it more of a mini LT (minus the 2nd DSP, but I don’t have any issues with lack of DSP to be fair).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ordered via the link Chris gave me. Very happy, roll on playtime nxt week. 

• So my new Stomp XL has turned up and it is a massive improvement for me, having owned a standard stomp for a while.  The functionality is amazing, really like a mini LT when you add an expression pedal.

The fact you can see 6 effect slots, hands free edit, 6 button looper, all mean I can get much more out of the unit. 
    I was a bit meh when this was released but now I have it it makes sense, size wise it's still small enough to integrate into a traditional pedalboard setup and as I add other pedals I can make the most out of the midi control if required.  

I also considered IR-200, GX-100, UA Dream and Pod Go, but happy I kept with the HX now I can get more out of it.
    The HX stomp seems an awesome pedal that does about everything I could want , the XL seems to give you more switches to play with which must make things much easier  and give you even more options . It seems to model all the best sounds I’ve ever liked  ,big congratulations  have fun with it. John Cordys videos are really useful on the line up too 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    Ordered via the link Chris gave me. Very happy, roll on playtime nxt week. 
    How are you liking it? I used mine for a rehearsal last night. I’ve had a few Stomps so knew what to expect sound wise, but really liked having the additional switches on the XL.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Do you still own the XL ?

How has it worked out for you over time ?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Yes all going well with it Waz.  The set out and extra switches  makes the functionality great.  I use it at home for modelling and looping.

Live, for just effects, alongside some other pedals (Flint, Protein, Broadcast, OC5).  Although I only use the modelling for practice, I think it sounds great, especially with later additions and cab updates.  Live I just go with an amp.ll.

The effects you probably know, for me they are good to very good, none particularly blow me away, but they are very functional. Sometimes I think about swapping it for something like the H90, but I’d still need a modeller, and a looper and probably other things.

So my only criticism is the Stomp XL does so much so well, it’s almost impossible to justify swapping it, because it could only be replaced with multiple devices and spending much more.  It's the perfect pedalboard centrepiece really.

• I have an HX FX but if the Stomp XL was affordable for me, I'd have opted for that instead definitely. Congratulations. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I've been procrastinating about a Stomp XL to replace my HX FX with broken USB socket. Better form factor for my pedal board, amp sim and access to upgrades not possible with my damaged unit.

Of course while I've been procrastinating, I've been watching the price rise... £600 for a fairly marginal improvement. Nah.... Think I'll focus on finding interesting individual pedals to supplement the HX FX.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience

Yes all going well with it Waz.  The set out and extra switches  makes the functionality great.  I use it at home for modelling and looping.

Live, for just effects, alongside some other pedals (Flint, Protein, Broadcast, OC5).  Although I only use the modelling for practice, I think it sounds great, especially with later additions and cab updates.  Live I just go with an amp.ll.

The effects you probably know, for me they are good to very good, none particularly blow me away, but they are very functional. Sometimes I think about swapping it for something like the H90, but I’d still need a modeller, and a looper and probably other things.

So my only criticism is the Stomp XL does so much so well, it’s almost impossible to justify swapping it, because it could only be replaced with multiple devices and spending much more.  It's the perfect pedalboard centrepiece really.

Thanks mate, appreciate the insight ! =)

I do enjoy the UI of the Stomp, and the looper should work really well with the extra switches.

Agree 100% with your findings mate...

Mine has arrived today and I've had a brief play; forgot how good these were.

Smaller than I thought too, which is nice =)

Delighted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    The only thing I don't like about the Stomp XL is that the footswitches are too close togethe, it's too easy to unintentionally hit two at the same time - especially when stepping on one in the back row it's hard not to hit the one in front of it too. (And my feet aren't that big.)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Good stuff @Wazmeister ;

Really handy Swiss Army Knife of a pedal.

Jeremiah said:
    The only thing I don't like about the Stomp XL is that the footswitches are too close togethe, it's too easy to unintentionally hit two at the same time - especially when stepping on one in the back row it's hard not to hit the one in front of it too. (And my feet aren't that big.)
    I’ve not had an issue, wouldn’t want them any closer but I seem to manage okay.