Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Advice re subwoofer - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Advice re subwoofer

What's Hot
rich75rich75 Frets: 35
Hi All. I'd be grateful for some advice on which choice of sub to add to our PA.

Our system is currently a Yamaha desk going into two Yamaha DXR12 MkI speakers. In the last few months we have started to put almost everything through the PA (vocals, guitars, keys, bass and bass drum). Whilst it sounds really good I realise that it would be better to have a dedicated sub to avoid putting too much strain on the tops. The intention for now is to just use one sub.

I've narrowed the choice down to three:

Yamaha DXS12 MkII - this seems the obvious choice as it has a good reputation and should play nicely with the existing speakers. It also has the highest SPL rating of the three. On the downside it is the dearest, largest and heaviest of the three.

EV EXL200-12SP - quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Yamaha but I have no previous experience of EV gear. 

Alto TS312S - the cheapest of the three by some distance and sits in the middle in terms of size and weight. Just not sure whether it will keep up with the tops. Our bass player has been using the Headrush FRFR112 (which I understand is basically an Alto) on stage as backline for his Helix LT and that pumps out plenty of low end, but I'm assuming (rightly or wrongly that this may not be up to the level of the other two)

I'm struggling to find any direct comparisons between the three and haven't yet seen anywhere that has them all in stock to listen to them side by side so just wondered if anyone has any views on how they compare? I realise that larger subs (i.e. 15s or 18s) are going to sound bigger but size and weight are definite considerations here.

I guess it seems obvious to go with the Yamaha but I'd be intrigued by the EV in particular due to the portability if it is likely to be a good match.

Thanks for reading  :)  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I would get the Yamaha as it will be designed to work correctly with the tops and mixer and will avoid any potential compatibility or crossover frequency issues - it’s not that useful to compare them in isolation. If it has the highest SPL it will also make the most difference to the sound if you’re only using one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    I agree, the Yamaha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 35
    Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

All makes sense - I think the lazy part of me that would rather carry a 19kg speaker than a 30kg one was hoping someone might say the EV is amazing!  :)
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    rich75 said:
    Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

All makes sense - I think the lazy part of me that would rather carry a 19kg speaker than a 30kg one was hoping someone might say the EV is amazing!  :)
    Put the 30kg on casters problem solved. Then put your two tops on it one trip to the car!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We run an RCF 702 sub with our DXR10 tops. Play great together and the sub weighs next to nothing! Very pleased.
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 35
    We run an RCF 702 sub with our DXR10 tops. Play great together and the sub weighs next to nothing! Very pleased.
    Thanks - hadn't considered that one, and good to know it plays nicely with DXR tops. Can I ask what you normally put through the PA?
  • bobeffectbobeffect Frets: 43
    We use a pair of Alto TS312's with a set of DXR10's. So a small PA really. We set the crossover to the 'high pass' setting on the subs which is set at 100hz. We then match that on the DXR 10's high pass filter set at 100hz too. As a 4 piece we put vocals, bass, Roland electric drums, and my miked guitar cab through the desk. The Alto Subs and DXR tops seem a good match and have been able to cope with smaller and medium indoor and outdoor gigs. The price and weight of the DXS12 subs made the Alto's make sense although I'm under no illusion about the difference in quality!
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 394
    For small gigs we just use our X-Air and 2 DXR10s.  Anything for more than, say, 40-50 people we add the DXS12.  This is run from a monitor out on the desk with feeds from just the kick drum & bass guitar channel.  There is a crossover in the sub but feeding everything through it sounded pretty crap tbh - or it could be that I don't know how to use the thing.  FWIW, we feed in 3 singers, my PRS/Kemper Stage, the bass guitar (straight to the desk), rhythm guitar (line out from a Fender Mustang amp  - belongs in a skip) and the kick drum.