Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Portable column array PA systems... - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Portable column array PA systems...

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3390
Chaps,

I need some advice - i'm starting an acoustic duo with a great singer, and we already have gigs booked for later in summer, so I need to sort a PA system out pretty sharpish. I've been looking at the column array style systems, such as the Bose L1, Yamaha Stagepas 1k etc, but I was wondering if anyone has any real world experience of them, and could offer any recommendations. I don't want to spend silly money (i'm looking at you, Bose), but I don't want to buy something then end up having to get something better/different down the line, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I do struggle with the fact that it would need to sit between us, rather than out front on either side like a more traditional 2 speaker set up, and I will need to consider adding another of whatever I buy in the future for bigger gigs/venues.

Thanks!

Dave

This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    @Legionreturns has one
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    I have a Bose L1 Model II which I bought when I started my own country trio. I only ever put the vocals through it. My thoughts in no particular order:

(1) The line array part is very good at carrying the sound a long way, the bass bins (I bought an extra one) not so much.

(2) If you set it up at one side of the stage and point it at the diagonal opposite corner of the room you can get a reasonable monitoring level without feedback.

(3) I found the ToneMatch gadget handy - no separate power supply needed, can sit on a small tray clamped to your mic stand.

(4) Not suitable for louder bands or loads of channels, even with a bigger mixer - Bose envisaged each player having their own L1!

I’ll chip in with other thoughts as and when they occur to me.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    The chap who runs one of the local pub-based open mics uses a Bose system (probably not current model, he's had it a while, but it was at the upper-middle end of the range). It works very well for that purpose, which is mostly a mix of any of acoustic guitar, stage piano, vocals (often two vocals) and a couple of cajons. He usually has an electric guitar and bass there too, but the bass usually goes through its own amp; I'm not sure if the electric gets DI'd or not, I think it probably does.

Plenty loud enough for a good-sized pub space, nice clear sound, and I've run a suitable pedalboard setup direct into which sounded fine too. He tends to set it up to one side level with the front of the stage area, and there's enough wash across the stage to give basic foldback without monitoring (although for louder nights he'll run an aux to a wedge).

He also does lots of other gigs, solo and with bands, and I think uses it for most of those too, apparently without issue.

Can't remember what @Legionreturns has - it's not the Bose one, want to say Evo, but that might be the previous system. He runs two subs and two columns as well as proper foldback, but that also seems to work well.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3390
    Thanks @Keefy & @Snags - I've been looking at the Bose L1 Pro 8 and the Yamaha Stagepas 1k - the Bose is pricey but sounds good, and the Yamaha is a fair chunk cheaper, sounds good, has 3 inputs and has the ability to aux out to a monitor, as well as onboard reverb, so i'm leaning towards that.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    We borrowed an L1 once and the sound quality is fantastic. 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7962
    I use 2 EV Evolve 50s, backed up by an additional EV EKX-15SP sub for bigger venues / outdoor gigs. 

I've run them on their own many times, including with kick and bass through them. 

When I got them, I tried them alongside the Bose ones and just found much more punch and clarity. 

I'm regularly fielding doubtful queries from bands before they play, then requests for details after, so they can get their own! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Here's a full band example, with the additional sub... 

https://fb.watch/dEn_3i5ofK/

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    I like the Yamaha 1k.    The hk polar models and rcf columns are all good as well so you might want to check them out.    

Thanks @Legionreturns ; - that's out of my price range.
    FWIW on the Bose, I know one bloke who keeps it simple, and mixes on his iPad. The chap I know that really uses it also has a desk for all the primary inputs, and feeds that into the Bose.
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 565
    Snags said:
    The chap who runs one of the local pub-based open mics uses a Bose system (probably not current model, he's had it a while, but it was at the upper-middle end of the range). It works very well for that purpose, which is mostly a mix of any of acoustic guitar, stage piano, vocals (often two vocals) and a couple of cajons. He usually has an electric guitar and bass there too, but the bass usually goes through its own amp; I'm not sure if the electric gets DI'd or not, I think it probably does.

Plenty loud enough for a good-sized pub space, nice clear sound, and I've run a suitable pedalboard setup direct into which sounded fine too. He tends to set it up to one side level with the front of the stage area, and there's enough wash across the stage to give basic foldback without monitoring (although for louder nights he'll run an aux to a wedge).

He also does lots of other gigs, solo and with bands, and I think uses it for most of those too, apparently without issue.

Not in Lichfield by my chance? Sounds like my band mate Chris. If so then we have even used it for smaller full band gigs (vocals only) and it did surprisingly well. Great bit of kit.
    Snags said:
    FWIW on the Bose, I know one bloke who keeps it simple, and mixes on his iPad. The chap I know that really uses it also has a desk for all the primary inputs, and feeds that into the Bose.
    I use an XR18, connected to a router then via long ethernet cable to my X Touch 

@CE1 no, Herts/Essex, although he's also a Kris, albeit spelt differently
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    Snags said:
    I use an XR18, connected to a router then via long ethernet cable to my X Touch 

That guy deserves a wis for using the tape roll as a drinks holder. I do that too at gigs - great for stopping my Diet Coke from toppling into my pedalboard when I get a bit overenthusiastic in the reggae breakdown in Brown Eyed Girl.

@RocknRollDave that particular hack has saved my bacon many times! 

Of course, if anyone else puts a drink down on my desk, they get told to fuck right off! 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    For acoustic guitars and vocals the Bose is superb. As I've mentioned before we have 3 sets in use doing acoustic gigs and also reinforcing guitars in a Shadows tribute club  (spread not volume). 
    What's nice for me is I've never had to fix any of them, they have worked faultlessly for 11 ish years now. I can't say the same about the cheaper stuff my friends have brought. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Thanks @Danny1969 ; - The Bose is pricey, but looks ok. I'm assuming you use an external mixer? I was hoping to find something that has 4 inputs with access to the onboard reverb (some only allow reverb on Ch1 & 2), so I can leave the mixer and home and be totally set up with just the speaker unit(s).

Yeah that's one I mentioned in the OP - I was thinking of getting something that could do reverb on all channels (ideally 4 as there will be 2 x vox, 1 guitar and possibly 1 keys), but the keys have their own reverb so no dramas with that. The Yammie looks to tick all the boxes and won't bankrupt me.
    I had one of the older, non column Stagepas systems a few years back, and I can't fault it at all