Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tips for Amp settings for outside show? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tips for Amp settings for outside show?

What's Hot
MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
Playing an outdoors gig tonight (Woodley Carnival “Party In The Park”). Decent set up with pro mixing and stage. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for amp settings when playing on open air stages? More bass/treble/reverb/volume etc??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    edited June 2022
    Just set it so you can hear yourself. Pa people might want you to sidewash the amp and or turn it down. Best thing you can do is work with the sound people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Set the tone so it’s right for you, and let the soundman do his own adjustments. If he asks you to turn down then he either needs you to turn down because you’re swamping other instruments, or he doesn’t like guitarists. Either way you need to turn down.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Roland said:
    Set the tone so it’s right for you, and let the soundman do his own adjustments. If he asks you to turn down then he either needs you to turn down because you’re swamping other instruments, or he doesn’t like guitarists. Either way you need to turn
    your amp so it’s not facing him. Or tilt it back. The biggest problem with guitar amps is that they’re so directional, but you can turn that into an advantage...

In terms of settings, don’t do anything very different from what you would normally, unless the amp sounds truly horrible like that - it will probably sound small and boxy compared to indoors - since it will be mic’ed, you don’t want to try to make it put out too much bass, or if it then gets muddy and farty, that’s the sound which will be heard through the PA. Likewise with overdoing the reverb if it sounds too dry - don’t give the soundman something that can’t be corrected at the desk. It’s easy to add bottom end and reverb there, but you can’t take away a flubby mess if that’s what’s coming out of the speaker. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    edited June 2022
    Thanks all. I didn’t have to make any changes to my amp settings in the end and the amp sounded fantastic. Got compliments on my tone from the sound guys afterwards too. For this gig I used my Magnatone Varsity Reverb (that I have for sale on here although now reconsidering that!) and a Thorpy Dane.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter