Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone use ACS pro for IEM’s? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone use ACS pro for IEM’s?

What's Hot
guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 557
I have, via the excellent health for musicians scheme, some ACS custom moulded ear plugs.

I’m searching  to get some custom moulded iem’s ( currently using some shures, but my ear holes are very small, so they don’t feel as comfy as the ACS’s) but the cost is currently prohibitive, for me.

On the ACS website they have these for £99

Which fit in the noise suppression tab holes in your earplugs.
Has anyone used them/Are they any good? Can you use a different make to put in the ACS’s?

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited June 2022
    I have, via the excellent health for musicians scheme, some ACS custom moulded ear plugs.

I’m searching  to get some custom moulded iem’s ( currently using some shures, but my ear holes are very small, so they don’t feel as comfy as the ACS’s) but the cost is currently prohibitive, for me.

Has anyone used them/Are they any good? Can you use a different make to put in the ACS’s?

Thanks 
    I have them and they dont stay in the hole in the ACS earbud very well - the leverage is too much. So wouldnt recommend them. To take them out of your ears you have to pull them out of the earbud so you can get your fingers in to pull on the ear bud - and they seem to fall off the ear bud if any tension is put on the cord.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkb said:

Thanks 
    I have them and they dont stay in the hole in the ACS earbud very well - the leverage is too much. So wouldnt recommend them. To take them out of your ears you have to pull them out of the earbud so you can get your fingers in to pull on the ear bud - and they seem to fall off the ear bud if any tension is put on the cord.
    Ah. Thank you. That’s annoying. I’ll stay clear !
    I tried putting my Shures in the hole, but the same happened . Tried it with another cheap set of IEM’s  and they fitted a test ( though they stick out a bit). Maybe I should try and plug the gal a bit. 
    What do you use for IEM’s? 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376

I have a pair of ACS custom moulds, which are single driver.  I've ditched them in favour of Shure SE535's which I grabbed when they were on sale.  I have small ears (actually they are aesthetically perfect, unlike the monstrous great flaps that most people seem to have =)) but I find that the Shure's fit ok and I much prefer the sound from their triple drivers.

• Yes, I got some 535 when they were on sale too. What tips do you use? I didn’t find any of any of the ones supplied to be small enough.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    I tried just about all of the supplied ones plus some memory foam tips bought on line.  In the end I settled for the standard medium silicone ones.  They are not as good a fit as the custom moulds but I prefer them over all.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    I too get a set of 535s when they were selling them off, plus the "pro" cable, and also the Bluetooth adapter.

I'm in the process of getting a set of custom moulds made by Snug to fit the 535s. I went for the "SnugsPro" which come in at £178.40, delivered. I was due to get the ear impressions done today, but forgot about the appointment so have rescheduled to Monday (13th).

I'll report back when I get them (will be 3-4 weeks, I think).

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I too get a set of 535s when they were selling them off, plus the "pro" cable, and also the Bluetooth adapter.

I'm in the process of getting a set of custom moulds made by Snug to fit the 535s. I went for the "SnugsPro" which come in at £178.40, delivered. I was due to get the ear impressions done today, but forgot about the appointment so have rescheduled to Monday (13th).

R.
    Cool. Yes, please. That would be great. 
    Is that £178 with getting your ear moulds made ? 
    I too get a set of 535s when they were selling them off, plus the "pro" cable, and also the Bluetooth adapter.

R.
    Cool. Yes, please. That would be great. 
    Is that £178 with getting your ear moulds made ? 
    No, the moulds are extra.

R.
  • ManWithoutSkinManWithoutSkin Frets: 98
    edited June 2022
    My old band all used to use the ACS three driver IEMs.  Our experience with them was that they broke frequently, had a mid hump that you needed to EQ out and the silicon started to degrade after time. 

This was about ten years ago though, so their product may have improved now. And I should add that ACS were always pretty good at fixing about fixing our broken IEMS.
    Got my moulds done today. They cost £30* from Hidden Hearing in York. I have posted them off to Snugs.

I did one with my jaw closed, and one with it open. I think I'll use the open-jaw version, as recommended by Snugs.

* I was expecting to pay £50, but they only charge £30 for members of the Police (the law enforcement agency, not the band!) and for some reason they thought I was in the Police. I told them I wasn't and they wanted to charge me £50 instead, but the manager kindly gave me the lower price.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    Every time a discussion about IEMs comes up I'm thankful we're using old skool wedges and side fills! Our sound guy is great and has never asked me to turn my amp down either. I'm dreading the day we have to move to in-ears because the noise police say so.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1774
    @robinbowes did you get those snug moulds in the end?

Any good?
    edited July 2022
    welshboyo said:
    @robinbowes did you get those snug moulds in the end?

Any good?
    Well, there's a story...

Yes, I got them, on Thursday 7th July. I put them in my bag and took them on the bus on Friday 8th July and left my bag on the bus. Doh!

I decided to buy another set (they can make duplicates from the moulds they have on file) as I already had another pait of Shure SE535s.

Of course, then my bag then turned up in First York Lost Property, so I now have two sets of SE535s and two sets of Snugs custom moulds.

They fit really well, and make the SE535s sound as good as I've heard them sound (I had been using them with the triple flange sleeves, with the bottom flange cut off so they fit my ears better).

For logistical reasons, I didn't use them at my gig on July 22nd, so I can't comment on their efficacy in a live situation.

All I can say is that I think they're worth getting, if you're happy with your current IEM solution, but want a better seal/fit.

HTH,

R.
    Ah ok @robinbowes sounds like those Snugs do actually solve the seal issue which is my main problem with my Shures (and I’ve tried every brand of tips in the world!!)

We as a band are now on our summer break so I think a visit to the Snug website will be on the cards in that down time!!
    welshboyo said:
    Ah ok @robinbowes sounds like those Snugs do actually solve the seal issue which is my main problem with my Shures (and I’ve tried every brand of tips in the world!!)

We as a band are now on our summer break so I think a visit to the Snug website will be on the cards in that down time!!
    Out of interest, what IEMs are you using?

R.
    welshboyo said:

Out of interest, what IEMs are you using?

R.
    425's actually, give me more than I actually need - I've also been using the cheapo Linsoul Audio ones that some people were raving about and they are good too!!!
  • Funnily enough I just got my ear impressions done on Friday for my SE535's at Hidden Hearing in Kingston! But it did cost me £50 as I'm not a member of the police. I also placed the order through Snugs for the Pro moulds. The impressions are with them now so hopefully within 3 weeks they'll make them and send them out.

The universal buds are ok, I think I use the medium one but they can move around a bit, I've got quite small ear canals as well, the impressionist has to push the small piece of foam quite hard. 

But looking forward to getting the moulded sleeves to use.
  • Ok so custom sleeves were delivered a couple of days ago. Only used them a few times and they're good, though a few first observations. 

1. I can still hear a bit of outside noise when using them i.e when I'm playing my guitar I can still hear the string noise, is this meant to be the case? It's less so when playing as part of a mix e.g with a backing track.

2. I have small ear canals and feel I have to really push the tips in to get a tight seal, the right sided tip seems shorter to my eye. Also some of the paint on the tip of the mould seems to be peeling off. 

Maybe I need to 'wear them in' a bit? Apparently they need 10-15 hours of use to fully shape to the ear canal but why would I have had the impression done in the first place if that's the case?

Snugs do a 30-day re-make thing, but I'll give it a week of proper use before re-evaluating.
  • Sorry to derail the thread slightly. Not totally happy with the Snugs Pro fit with my SE535's. They've said to give them a push to insert the fin part of the sleeve under the ear cartilage but it seems like the bit isn't long enough to go under there. I don't know if a remake would solve it so I'm jumping ship to Cosmic Ears. I want a proper set of IEM's.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 363
    Sorry to derail the thread slightly. Not totally happy with the Snugs Pro fit with my SE535's. They've said to give them a push to insert the fin part of the sleeve under the ear cartilage but it seems like the bit isn't long enough to go under there. I don't know if a remake would solve it so I'm jumping ship to Cosmic Ears. I want a proper set of IEM's.
    You won't regret it. Cosmic are fantastic and the service is great. 
  • mike257 said:
    Sorry to derail the thread slightly. Not totally happy with the Snugs Pro fit with my SE535's. They've said to give them a push to insert the fin part of the sleeve under the ear cartilage but it seems like the bit isn't long enough to go under there. I don't know if a remake would solve it so I'm jumping ship to Cosmic Ears. I want a proper set of IEM's.
    Which CE's do you have? Thinking of getting the CE3P's but heard the 6's are amazing. I'm just trying to arrange an appointment to have m ear impressions taken by the only person who can do them in the South but she's meant to be the very best.
    mike257 said:
    Which CE's do you have? Thinking of getting the CE3P's but heard the 6's are amazing. I'm just trying to arrange an appointment to have m ear impressions taken by the only person who can do them in the South but she's meant to be the very best.
    Is that Gisele? She's the go-to person down there. I had mine taken by Cosmic's recommend audiologist, Kinga, who's based up north near them, she does all their in-house stuff. 

I've got the CE6P,  only received them in August - broke them in at Reading/Leeds, and just wrapped a three week European tour mixing monitors on them and I'm absolutely made up with them. The right ear felt a little tight at first and they offered to take them back and rework them, but having lived with them for a month I think I've just got used to them and they're pretty comfortable to have in now so I don't think I'll be sending them back for a tweak. 
  • Yes it is. She’s meant to be really nice as well as the best. She’s done all the famous singers and artists so I think I’m in good hands! Sorted out an appointment for next Monday so looking forward to doing the impressions properly. My first ones wasn’t an open mouth bite block one which explains why the seal and fit isn’t satisfactory.

My initial choice was the CE3P as I’m not mixing or anything. Just need a clear flat eq to play my guitar out my Kemper to backing music and keep time with it. I mean, I will use them live on stage at some point too. Maybe the 4’s may be better for future proofing?  
    Yeah, she's done a bunch of the artists I work with, she's absolutely worth going to see. Cosmic need a second bend impression which a lot of others don't ask for, as they use it to align the drivers more accurately within the earpiece, but she'll no doubt know that anyway. 

If you can afford the jump up to a higher model I'd go for it. They're a big investment but it's an even bigger one to get a better pair from scratch if you change your mind! 
  • I did notice in someone's Vlog she does 2 impressions, it also looks like her ones are far more detailed than the high st store ones. Strange how she's the only person in the London area and its a bit of a trek but I'm sure it'll be worth it!

Yeah I want that full bodied deep bass sound so I can perform better live, really feel the music and groove. The CE6P looks like the way to go as I don't want to "settle" for the CE3P. Those are for the entry-level musicians and might be too similar to what I'm using right now. I want that step up. And yes you are right that it will cost more to change to a higher driver model in the future rather than just get the best one I can afford and only do it once!!