Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I've recorded four short guitar songs on a cheap cassette tape recorder - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I've recorded four short guitar songs on a cheap cassette tape recorder

What's Hot
Hello everyone,

These a the four guitar jams recorded in may for the intros of my little youtube videos.

It's a lot of fun to work on a cassette tape recorder and I love to use it to record demos. I also definitely recommend it as a practice tool.

I like to think that each jam is a reflection of my mood during each week of the month. May had some chill and happy moments as well as sad ones. Some days were sunny, others were rainy and windy. All of these things seem to have made it into these short little songs, hope you enjoy them.

Claude

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Really enjoyed listening to that, thank you for sharing. I always love the idea of recording stuff straight to tape/portable recorder/etc rather than the massive overcomplications I tend towards, playing live takes and overdubbing, but I lack the restraint sadly.

Love the clean sounds on The Folks Waltz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Nice...the joy of watching the tape wobble about and the advancing counter...4-track really focuses you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Back around 1984, a few years before I was able to buy a Tascam 4-track Portastudio, I used to capture my ideas on acoustic guitar using two moderately sized "ghetto blasters" (before they got huge and rounded off).  Sitting on the toilet seat lid in a tiled bathroom with the door open I would record the first part just using the internal stereo microphones that were surprisingly good, and the hard walls gave some nice reverb.  I would then play that back while recording on my other tape deck while playing another part.  I could do up to three parts before the quality went badly downhill.  It's a totally different way of recording when you know that you don't have separate tracks to "undo" and you have to get it right first time.  I still have some of those experiments on cassette tapes, but I don't currently have a working cassette player to check and see whether the tape has deteriorated over time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDL said:
    Back around 1984, a few years before I was able to buy a Tascam 4-track Portastudio, I used to capture my ideas on acoustic guitar using two moderately sized "ghetto blasters" (before they got huge and rounded off).  Sitting on the toilet seat lid in a tiled bathroom with the door open I would record the first part just using the internal stereo microphones that were surprisingly good, and the hard walls gave some nice reverb.  I would then play that back while recording on my other tape deck while playing another part.  I could do up to three parts before the quality went badly downhill.  It's a totally different way of recording when you know that you don't have separate tracks to "undo" and you have to get it right first time.  I still have some of those experiments on cassette tapes, but I don't currently have a working cassette player to check and see whether the tape has deteriorated over time.
    That's awesome that you still have your old tapes! Who knows there might be some musical gems in there 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    edited June 2022
    BillDL said:
    That's awesome that you still have your old tapes! Who knows there might be some musical gems in there 
    This was me too ,….and yes I Have plenty of old
    tapes !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    @spark240  ; I don't know what age you are, but I also used to sit up late at night listening to my radio cassette player trying to tape songs as they were played by Alexis Korner and te show hosted by Paul Jones from The Blues Band. There were some real gems (mostly older style blues) played by those two.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited June 2022
    Ooooooh that hiss! It's part of the charm I hear you say...

It only seems to be prominent on Track 1. Did you use Dolby for the others?
  • Ooooooh that hiss! It's part of the charm I hear you say...

It only seems to be prominent on Track 1. Did you use Dolby for the others?
    Yeah, love that hiss. It's more prominent on track 1 because I had a lower input level when I was recording. For the other tracks, I've managed to find a sweet spot with the input gain.