Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). *Solved* Easy way to reduce latency without proper equipment. - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

*Solved* Easy way to reduce latency without proper equipment.

What's Hot
olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
edited June 2022 in Studio & Recording
Hey everyone,

I haven't really done much recording in the past need to record a song as I am helping my brother with his A Level Media coursework and he isn't allowed to use real music. 

So I am basically rerecording a song in a very basic way and need to lay down some guitar parts for it. I have a midi drum beat sorted with a VST and a midi piano part but I am having issues with the guitar portion.

I don't have a proper interface and so when I record the guitar in time with the drums the actual recording is delayed, further to this it seems the latency isn't consistent and so I lose time randomly throughout.

I also don't have proper headphones and am using a USB headset as my wired headphones are broken and the only others are Bluetooth. 

My current setup is using a Katana as the recording interface into my PC with the ASIO driver recording into Reaper. I am using the ASIO4ALL driver to send this to my headset and I think that's where the latency comes in.

Is there any easy solutions to this short of getting a proper interface and headphones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    If I was in your situation, I would not be trying to record the guitar into the PC.
    Play the track through headphones and record your amp with a mic, either into the PC or as a completely separate recording.
    This external recording can be brought into the project and manually lined up, this might well be a lot easier than trying to play along with the latent tracks.
    Put the track on repeat, and try and include some form of count in, which can be played along to, do a few takes and try and import them- using the count in to help to visually line things up.
    I do a lot of rough ideas this way and it can work well enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was playing around and actually solved it by using the Katana as a monitor. The drums sound pretty bad through the speakers, but it's enough to keep time and seems to be low latency enough. I think the speakers should be ok as it is pretty low volume.

I knew my PC was powerful enough as it has a beefy CPU (although quite an old one at this point), so it must have been the headset.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter