Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Before I go and do it. Hosting VSTs on C drive or on an external drive? - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Before I go and do it. Hosting VSTs on C drive or on an external drive?

What's Hot
Is there any advantage of having VSTs them on my laptop's C drive as opposed to an external drive?
My C drive still has plenty of space, but just wondering if I was accessing my plugins from an external drive, would it allow the laptop to perform a litle bit better as there's be more free space on it?
Thought I'd ask here first before going to a lot of trouble transferring to test.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I got some annoying issues when mine were on an external, and that was with a quick SSD.

But if your C drive is spinning rust an external SSD might still be better.
    Shame it's a laptop really. If it was a desktop then opening it up and properly installing a shiny new SSD would be best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    I got some annoying issues when mine were on an external, and that was with a quick SSD.

But if your C drive is spinning rust an external SSD might still be better.
    Shame it's a laptop really. If it was a desktop then opening it up and properly installing a shiny new SSD would be best.
    It's all ok, and has a SSD. I was just clearing out old files and the though occured to me.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    AFAIK
    Depends on how the VST is coded
    If it just loads into RAM, then should make no difference other than when you first load it
    Whereas for something like a VST sampler, e.g Kontakt, you'd need to think about where the samples are stored, and whether the samples in a patch are all loaded into RAM or not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @ToneControl I would store samples on the external drive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    I usually go with the vst on the C drive and all sound packs and sample on remote.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @spark240 I think that's the best option.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Thing with samples remote is those are the things you really want fast access to as they are streamed off disk. By contrast the .DLL is actually loaded in memory so the disk access speed only affects startup time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter