Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What device / Daw / vsts and extras do you use - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What device / Daw / vsts and extras do you use

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Danny1969 said:
    I've recently set up 3 different people with complete DAW systems on a budget. None of the systems cost more than £100 2nd hand. Basically I trawl Ebay for firewire Mbox 2 interfaces which you can can get for as little as £20. These allow you to run Protools LE8 which gives you absolutely everything you need to create music, inc drums, software synth, guitar amp sims and great editing. All you then need is an old iMac or Macbook Pro which you can get for around £50 for the Imac or £75 ish for the Macbook. 
    There's no drivers or anything else to worry about. You install the software and it all just works right off the bat with no latency. The last guy, a 62 year old teacher mate of mine was recording music within 15 minutes of me installing it in his man cave. 

Does pro tools 8LE even exist? 9.0 is 12 years old. 

I'd def run reaper on a budget setup. Actually I'd run reaper on any setup but ESPECIALLY on a budget setup. Only downside is lack of included VSTs but there are great free ones around and tbh the value you get from just a good drum library and amp sim imo easily justifies the cost. 
    Well the thing with PT8 is it won't run without a Digidesign interface but once you connect one it just works straight away with mega low latency. There's no drivers to configure and it comes with Xpand 2 virtual synth, the fantastic mini grand piano, drum machines, sampler and some really good plugins. I did a whole album with PT8LE on a 2007 iMac last year and never felt I needed any more power or any plugins that weren't included with 8LE .... I've actually got an HD2 system in the shed running PT10 but the 8LE is fine. 

The reason I started hooking people up with old machines and old software is I wanted to show that for the most part, people  spend way too much spec'ing home recording machines and this has led to a mindset where people don't think they can afford a machine capable of recording and mixing  32 tracks. I know if I provide an old Mac, an Mbox and PT8 they will have everything they need and it will work as intended. 

I've been a Reaper user since around 2006 or so when @Grunfeld told the old Guitarist forum about it and have used it for loads of projects but for newbies, PT is a better bet, being a closed system there's no agg with drivers and the audio routing is like an analog desk, not send  / receive channels etc. Plus a decent interface is only £25.00 :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I've recently set up 3 different people with complete DAW systems on a budget. None of the systems cost more than £100 2nd hand. Basically I trawl Ebay for firewire Mbox 2 interfaces which you can can get for as little as £20. These allow you to run Protools LE8 which gives you absolutely everything you need to create music, inc drums, software synth, guitar amp sims and great editing. All you then need is an old iMac or Macbook Pro which you can get for around £50 for the Imac or £75 ish for the Macbook. 
    There's no drivers or anything else to worry about. You install the software and it all just works right off the bat with no latency. The last guy, a 62 year old teacher mate of mine was recording music within 15 minutes of me installing it in his man cave. 

Does pro tools 8LE even exist? 9.0 is 12 years old. 

I'd def run reaper on a budget setup. Actually I'd run reaper on any setup but ESPECIALLY on a budget setup. Only downside is lack of included VSTs but there are great free ones around and tbh the value you get from just a good drum library and amp sim imo easily justifies the cost. 
    Well the thing with PT8 is it won't run without a Digidesign interface but once you connect one it just works straight away with mega low latency. There's no drivers to configure and it comes with Xpand 2 virtual synth, the fantastic mini grand piano, drum machines, sampler and some really good plugins. I did a whole album with PT8LE on a 2007 iMac last year and never felt I needed any more power or any plugins that weren't included with 8LE .... I've actually got an HD2 system in the shed running PT10 but the 8LE is fine. 

The reason I started hooking people up with old machines and old software is I wanted to show that for the most part, people  spend way too much spec'ing home recording machines and this has led to a mindset where people don't think they can afford a machine capable of recording and mixing  32 tracks. I know if I provide an old Mac, an Mbox and PT8 they will have everything they need and it will work as intended. 

I've been a Reaper user since around 2006 or so when @Grunfeld told the old Guitarist forum about it and have used it for loads of projects but for newbies, PT is a better bet, being a closed system there's no agg with drivers and the audio routing is like an analog desk, not send  / receive channels etc. Plus a decent interface is only £25.00 :)

I'm not so sure, mostly as you're not going to find as many tutorials / youtube vids etc on how to do things out there on such an ancient version of pro tools. Plus the midi editor is totally balls in older PT versions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter