Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Using physical stompboxes for effects with plugins. Any advice for home use? - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Using physical stompboxes for effects with plugins. Any advice for home use?

Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
edited May 2022 in Studio & Recording
Hi guys. I've been looking at some videos on YT on how to use guitar pedals with plugins. e.g. using delay pedals with virtual synths or vocals etc.
First thing I would need is an interface with some line inputs, so was thinking of a Behringer UMC204HD.
I've seen videos of latency when trying to do this, but with a synth for generating noice, it might not be much of an issue.
Would I need a reamp box as well? What would be the point of the reamp box in this scenario?
Thanks!
Should I go interface output > reamp box > pedals > DI box > back into interface line input (if I am not using an amp).
Do I need the DI box and Reamp box?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    If I were to try this with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, I would use the headphone out >pedals>line input.
    Headphone output has volume control to not blow up pedal input.
    Pedals are line level (usually), and also have level controls, these need to be set to not overload the input on the Scarlett.
    I realise this is a less than perfect set up, as it has monitoring and latency issues, but it is what I would be doing as an experiment.
    I did try using a splitter once to record an effected sound (line level )and a DI (instrument level ) at the same time, and there was no latency induced by the pedals compared to the DI, and I am using Reaper, which is pretty flexible in the way tracks can be routed internally.
    YMMV. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    @andy_k I have the same Focusrite and also use Reaper, so will try that to begin with.