Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Line 6 - DL4 - Can anyone repair it please ??? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Line 6 - DL4 - Can anyone repair it please ???

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
edited June 2022 in FX
I love my DL4 but its developed a problem . . . When I plug my Guitar or my mini Pedal Board into the Left Mono Input its started to get noisy . . Like a White Noise under the guitar signal . . . . I generally run it into two small Amps at home and its literally happened just today . . . 

https://i.imgur.com/P5qf1Du.jpg
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2703

I've seen this problem before, and it was caused by the op-amp driving the output going noisy.

Our guess was that this was due to ESD into the output when something was plugged in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    jpfamps said:

I've seen this problem before, and it was caused by the op-amp driving the output going noisy.

Our guess was that this was due to ESD into the output when something was plugged in.

Cheers @jpfamps ; . . . . Can you re explain that in laymans terms as that was way too TECH for me . .  

I tried the DL4 on its own with no other effects and it did the same ??

Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    edited May 2022
    I think @jpfamps is saying that an output related op-amp may have been affected by a static discharge when plugging something in.

I don't know if that problem can be fixed without having the op-amp replaced and/or whether that is economically viable. If it helps, Peach are selling new original DL4s for £159 at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think @jpfamps is saying that an output related op-amp may have been affected by a static discharge when plugging something in.

I don't know if that problem can be fixed without having the op-amp replaced and/or whether that is economically viable. If it helps, Peach are selling new original DL4s for £159 at the moment.

Much appreciated, I really hope its not terminal . . . Regards Mark

Would anyone know how to repair this ???

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2703
    If it is the op-amp then you would simply need to get someone to replace it.

From memory it was U17 that we replaced.

The provides the output for the left and right channels, but it's perfectly possible for one side of a dual op-amp to go noisy without affecting the other side.

The op-amps are SMD, but are easy to access.

Disclaimer, I can guarantee that this will cure the problem!!

edited June 2022
    Would anyone know how to repair this ???

How do I find out what U17 is ???

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I repaired one I brought cheap on here. It's an easy board to work on but you would need a decent iron with a thin long tip to solder a new opamp in or you would need a decent hot air gun designed for this work. 

The part number of the opamp is etched in the top, typically something like TL072 .... there's a little mark that indicates pin 1 so make sure you get in on the right way up. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    I repaired one I brought cheap on here. It's an easy board to work on but you would need a decent iron with a thin long tip to solder a new opamp in or you would need a decent hot air gun designed for this work. 

The part number of the opamp is etched in the top, typically something like TL072 .... there's a little mark that indicates pin 1 so make sure you get in on the right way up. 

I dont suppose you fancy looking at it for me ?? I'm lethal with a soldering iron . . . plus where do you buy the replacement chip from ?? 

maw4neu said:
    Danny1969 said:

I dont suppose you fancy looking at it for me ?? I'm lethal with a soldering iron . . . plus where do you buy the replacement chip from ?? 
    I'm stacked out for a couple of weeks repair wise but if you still need it doing then PM me 
    Cheers
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    maw4neu said:
    Danny1969 said:

I'm stacked out for a couple of weeks repair wise but if you still need it doing then PM me 
    Cheers
    That's no problem at all Danny . . . If you want to PM me your address etc I'll get it down to you . . . You can sort the repair when it best suits you, but at least it will be with you :-) Genuinely appreciate the offer . . . Its on of my favourite pedals and has been for ages . . .  

• SparksSparks Frets: 22
    I don't suppose you'd be interested in an FM4 repair, @Danny1969?
    Sparks said:
    I don't suppose you'd be interested in an FM4 repair, @Danny1969?
    Sorry mate I’m actually knocking repairs on the head as I am so busy these days manufacturing my own products. 
    Always happy to give advice though. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 125
    Mine stopped doing this when I used a different power supply
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Line 6 official service centre is in Milton Keynes.

E & M Electronics
    Unit 28, 56 Goulds Close
    Bletchley Milton Keynes, MK1 1EQ
    Phone: +441908 375699
    Email: line6@eandm.co

They are really good and the prices are very fair for out of warranty stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter