Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). HELP! - Broken case handle - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

HELP! - Broken case handle

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
I know this may sound lame, but I'm truly upset... the handle on the original case for my SG has just broken. It appears that the handle is comprised of some kind of rubber tube wrapped in vinyl and the rubber has just expired. 

I don't want to replace the case, as 1) its a really nice case (and has the shroud...) and 2) I'm emotionally attached to it (yes, I said this was lame... but this guitar/case combo means a lot for reasons I'm not going into on here).

Any ideas on how to repair/replace the handle?

Thanks
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    I've done a few by using either electrical cable or sash window cord, tied carefully like a sort of double hangman's knot with the ends cable-tied and taped or (preferably) heatshrinked. It's neater and less of a bodge than it sounds! And very strong.

Replacing the handle is possible, but getting exactly the right type to fit is surprisingly difficult in most cases, and you have to peel back the case lining to remove the rivets and redo them, then stick the lining back down. It's a lot more hassle than you might think...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Thanks! I'm not up on my knots... but I'm sure I can find some kind of how-to on the net for that.

Appreciated.
    :)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229

Some of the guitar spares firms do a replacement handle, but the handles are quite flexy and not as secure as the originals. However they do the job.

Just a thought!!