Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). String gauges for a 5-string fan-fretted bass - SRFF805 - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

String gauges for a 5-string fan-fretted bass - SRFF805

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Look it up on the website.

Max speaking length. Or distance between ball and the taper. Or for 35 inch scales, Extra Long Scale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    Levin almost always uses Ernie nickel rounds in a very heavy gauge 55-110 I think, and the Ernie Group flats when needed.

Pino uses Thomastik Ti flats mostly, but will use pretty much anything else depending on the need for the song. He used EB Cobalt Flatwounds for The Who, and also uses Roto steel rounds. His signature Fender comes with Thomastik flats.

Strings make a massive difference on bass. Far more than on guitar so I’m afraid it’s just trying some to see what you like.

however, people do buy and sell used bass strings because they last. Many varieties come up on Basschat. So you can save a few quid while you are trying.

Bass strings are expensive, but as long as you are not looking for that brand new clank all the time, then they will last for years.

Ive never got less than 5 years out of a set of Thomastik flats.
     So I should try to take these neons off without damaging them... will someone really want to buy them second-hand?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    You never know unless you ask.

The issue with the Neons is whether the fret has taken off the coating at the point it makes contact. If it has then be clear about it.

Still - on basschat listing stuff under £50 is free so punt for half the new price and see what happens.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    I bought a set of 
    (Super long scale)

Ernie Ball 2850 Nickel SL

• Gauges: 045 - 065 - 085 - 105 - 130
    Still seem a bit loose on the bottom B