Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Plexi-style head shell for combo conversion - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Plexi-style head shell for combo conversion

What's Hot
davrosdavros Frets: 1246
edited April 2022 in Making & Modding
I decided to turn my Marshall JVM 215C Combo into a head because I want the flexibility of using different cabs depending on the size of gig, playing at home etc.

Why not just buy the head version you ask? The head is standard size - massive - so doesn't sit on a 1x12 or vertical 2x12. Also, I love the plexi look so wanted it to match my Studio Vintage.

...and I like a project!

It's made of laminated 9mm and 6mm MDF to make 15mm thickness. It's MDF because birch ply is hard to get in 15mm and I can't see the sound properties mattering for a head. Front and back are 12mm. I ended up having to buy a new 1/2" router so I could use the 3/4" roundover bit. I plan to build a 2061cx sized cab next, so it will get used again.

I just need to get a new gold Marshall logo to finish it off and I'm looking at getting a new faceplate made up by Modulus.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    I like that , a lot.
    Very neat, it would have looked ok if you had done it the other way up, but it's worth going the extra mile with the new face plate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Have a Wow from me - that looks great.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Nice work!   I’ve done a few heads myself and know how tricky a very neat tolex and piping job can be .   It looks great     I will be interested to see if you can get a custom faceplate.  I still need to source one for the Park Rockhead 1210 replica I built about 15 years ago, so perhaps Modulus might be the solution.  
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Can recommend Modulus - here's the one he did for me for the rear of my JMP:

They're a bit thicker than the original, though, so you need to allow for that.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    Marshall should totally release a model called the Marshall WAr.

Looks great!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    Thanks chaps. The tolex, handles and feet were from Modulus, arrived quickly and well packaged. I just need to find the time to create the artwork for the faceplate now. Hard to make it very plexi styled since there are a lot of knobs very close together, but the traditional fonts are the plan. Logo is on its way too.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Fark! That looks great, excellent work on the piping etc
    Now with marshall logo and its baby brother

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Lurvelllly ……
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Excellent!
    This just arrived today from @Modulus_Amps - a new faceplate with more plexi style graphics and flipped the right way up.

Can't wait to get this fitted, it looks amazing! Fingers crossed my measurements were accurate enough!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 947
    That looks awesome - well done sir! :)
    Finished, very happy with how this turned out!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Wow thats has come out great. Well done!
    edited July 2022
    Everything but the wood and logo came from you, so thank you!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Did you rotate the pots so that they work correctly with the new faceplate?
    The pot shafts are D shaped and Marshall have 2 versions of the knobs, one for combos and one for heads. The only difference is for one the curved bit aligns with the pointer and the other the flat bit does. So, basically it just required a new set of knobs to get the pointers going the right way.
  • Very clever!

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited July 2022
    This puzzled me for a while! I think I understand now…
    You're effectively turning the pot around 180 degrees
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I think it would have been better to keep the original panel and just fit the Marshall logo upside down.

Not really! Great job to do the whole thing properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    That's really nice. Food for thought.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.