Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Short/Med scale - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Short/Med scale

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I think I need a Sandberg shorty.

https://youtu.be/0USwr08v8f4

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    p90fool said:
    I have a left hand injury which means I struggle with normal basses these day, so I bought one of these and it's bloody brilliant.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_tmb30_mgr_talman_short_scale.htm

My bass background is mainly vintage Fender and Wal, but this is the most fun I've had on bass for years. It has excellent depth and twang, and is nothing like the thud normally associated with short scales.  
    I've got one of those (in black).  I was going to sell it when I bought my 32" eighties Squier, but my daughter has decided she wants to learn bass, and wants to make use of it.

It is a good bass.  I'm not sure there is a huge difference between that and a Mustang that costs three times as much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • luckylucky Frets: 5
    I bought an old 30" on a whim a few years back and expected it to be just a bit of fun but not something that would compete soundwise with my 34"s. Jokes on me as it's basically put them out of business and left me questioning why I have them any more... In terms of sound and contruction my shorty is similar to my pbass and i'm pretty sure the only person that could realllllly tell the difference blindfold is me after literally A/B-ing them. 

The only thing I would say is if you use lower than standard tunings then go for the longest scale length you can manage IMO as my shorty has much more fretboard rattle when downtuned. Or plan for it and get fatter strings 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    Any inexpensive bass won't sound as good as the real deal but if it's recording then it can work.
     I've tried many of them and settled on a Fender JMJ bass short scale with flat wound strings Seymour Duncan pickups sound and plays great.