Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tom Parker - The Wanted - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tom Parker - The Wanted

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
edited March 2022 in Tributes
As far as I know I don’t know anything by The Wanted, and only heard about his passing on the evening news. Came over as a genuinely nice guy with a young family. Only 33 which is really no age. RIP.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    My son’s girlfriend is a fan and they went to see the band a few weeks ago, Tom came on in a wheelchair at the end of the gig. Two very young children. All very sad. RIP. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Terrible.. Poor lad, and his family.. :anguished: 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    It's tragic for sure ... my younger son is a year older and I can't imagine how it feels  :'(
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Really sad turn of events. It's my 35th birthday on Friday, and him dying at 33 is somehow terrifying me.

May he rest in peace, hopefully his family can find peace eventually after his loss
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I really don't know anything about The Wanted, but I was aware he was being treated for cancer - sad to hear of anyone dying so young.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    I've never heard of him, but I also saw the news story. Tragic loss for his family.
    RIP Tom.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    HAL9000 said:
    As far as I know I don’t know anything by The Wanted, and only heard about his passing on the evening news. Came over as a genuinely nice guy with a young family. Only 33 which is really no age. RIP.
    I thought exactly the same when I first read it last night
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    bertie said:
    HAL9000 said:
    I thought exactly the same when I first read it last night
    Same here. Cancer is indiscriminating - awful. RIP Tom. 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    Taken way to young . . . RIP
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I've never heard the band, but I've heard of the name, so I don't actually know who Tom Parker is. Having said that, it was just so sad to read this, a young guy, married with young kids, successful career (I guess) of the sort that so many want but so few achieve. Life can be cruel.

Rest in peace Tom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    As @richardhomer said above, cancer is indeed 'indiscriminating. When my wife passed she was 53 but had received treatment for over 7 years. Every fortnight for two of those seven years we would go to the cancer treatment centre (The Lingen Davies at the RSH Shrewsbury) and would sit in the waiting room for maybe 20-30 minutes quietly observing people of all ages arriving and receiving their treatment. It's a huge jolt to the system when people of your own age show up. Makes you think about 'time'. 

It taught me not to worry about stuff. It also taught me to 'live your dreams' whilst you have the health to do so.

Sure, I've got financial worries, there's Covid, the war, the energy crisis and I, like everybody else, has their health issues, family concerns etc. But all that pales into insignificance once you are diagnosed with this disease. The rug is pulled from your life. The freedoms that you once took for granted disappear with immediate effect.

So, for all of us out there who don't have this disease or any other debilitating illness, enjoy your freedom to be what you want to be. Go out and live life with a smile on your face.

Bob Champion (my sporting hero), rider of Grand National winner Aldaniti, fought cancer when the treatment was truly horrific. He says he owes his recovery to a child (cancer suffering child) he met in hospital when he walked the wards one day. He wanted to give up, but this child asked him a very simple question:

"Are you going to live?"

His answer of course was "Yes" and even in his darkest time he realised that there was something worth living for. It kickstarted his recovery and he went on to ride the GN winner, dedicating the win to that child and creating the Bob Champion Cancer Trust.

So, RIP Tom Parker. Way too young. I hope his wife and children go on to live happy lives doing something remarkable for the world we live in, in memory of their husband and father.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    edited April 2022
    BBC aired an episode of Pointless Celebrities on Saturday that was recorded late last year with Tom and bandmate Max as one of the teams. It was quite moving. It is available on iPlayer.
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 224
    Shrews said:
    As @richardhomer said above, cancer is indeed 'indiscriminating. When my wife passed she was 53 but had received treatment for over 7 years. Every fortnight for two of those seven years we would go to the cancer treatment centre (The Lingen Davies at the RSH Shrewsbury) and would sit in the waiting room for maybe 20-30 minutes quietly observing people of all ages arriving and receiving their treatment. It's a huge jolt to the system when people of your own age show up. Makes you think about 'time'. 

It taught me not to worry about stuff. It also taught me to 'live your dreams' whilst you have the health to do so.

Sure, I've got financial worries, there's Covid, the war, the energy crisis and I, like everybody else, has their health issues, family concerns etc. But all that pales into insignificance once you are diagnosed with this disease. The rug is pulled from your life. The freedoms that you once took for granted disappear with immediate effect.

So, for all of us out there who don't have this disease or any other debilitating illness, enjoy your freedom to be what you want to be. Go out and live life with a smile on your face.

Bob Champion (my sporting hero), rider of Grand National winner Aldaniti, fought cancer when the treatment was truly horrific. He says he owes his recovery to a child (cancer suffering child) he met in hospital when he walked the wards one day. He wanted to give up, but this child asked him a very simple question:

"Are you going to live?"

His answer of course was "Yes" and even in his darkest time he realised that there was something worth living for. It kickstarted his recovery and he went on to ride the GN winner, dedicating the win to that child and creating the Bob Champion Cancer Trust.

So, RIP Tom Parker. Way too young. I hope his wife and children go on to live happy lives doing something remarkable for the world we live in, in memory of their husband and father.

@Shrews ;
    I just got a lump in my throat reading that! Now I think I might have something in my eye.
    im in the same camp as others here - not a fan of the wanted but 33 is way too young - I lost a cousin to cancer at a similar age!