Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Taylor Hawkins - Foo Fighters - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Taylor Hawkins - Foo Fighters

What's Hot

Comments

• So sad. Thoughts with his friends and family. Love the Foo Fighters, music full of fun and  positivity. RIP Taylor 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Oh shit! Absolutely gutted.. as above - great drummer, and cool af..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I was never much of a fan of the music, but I just loved Taylor, such a wonderful, joyful and entertaining guy, and a superb drummer. Very sad news indeed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 927
    Rather a shock.  Watched "Jagged" yesterday, the Alanis documentary, he's in that quite a bit, well worth a watch.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    edited March 2022
    Gutted . . ! . . One of my favourite drummers of all time . . My thoughts & prayers go out to his family & his bandmates and his close friends . . .  Such a sad loss
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    So sad, a real bundle of energy and a great drummer, I always imagined a few minutes in his company would make the world seem a better place. RIP.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    edited March 2022
    Shocked and gutted at this news. His sheer effervescence and positivity was infectious. I watched him and Dave on YT a few weeks back pllaying with Jimmy and JPJ and thought about how it must've felt for him drumming behind them. RIP Taylor.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 231
    I knew he'd had his fair share of 'fun' in the past, maybe it caught up with him.

I was literally thinking about him yesterday, how he was now in a position to do what he wanted music wise with his cool famous buddies and enough cash in the bank to relax and buy awesome man-shit that you don't need but just 'can'.

RIP Taylor - of to the big gig in the sky.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    Terrible news. I got back from gigging last night and this popped up on my yt feed. Still buzzing I had no option other than to pour a large one and watch this. Just woken up to the news. Not only was he a monster drummer, he came across as a top bloke and didn’t give a shit about his fame and fortune. Huge loss

https://youtu.be/MhEW7Qb_DXc
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 419
    edited March 2022
    Gutted… I was blasting out Wasting Light in the car on my way home from work last night and marvelling at the drums in particular.  Me and the wife are still a bit shellshocked to be honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited March 2022
    Their new album is really good by the way. A homage to thrash metal. Best album they’ve released in a long time. Gonna be playing it all day in memory of Taylor. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    Wow, that's a shock. He burned so brightly RIP.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    rsvmark said:
    Terrible news. I got back from gigging last night and this popped up on my yt feed. Still buzzing I had no option other than to pour a large one and watch this. Just woken up to the news. Not only was he a monster drummer, he came across as a top bloke and didn’t give a shit about his fame and fortune. Huge loss

https://youtu.be/MhEW7Qb_DXc
    I just watched the back end of that show - it's absolutely as good as any other I've seen.

I've been numb about it through the morning but I'm pretty much in bits now. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I feel similar to when Joe Strummer died this morning. Rest in peace TH.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Utterly shocked by this awful news.
    Never saw an interview or photo of him where he wasn't grinning, laughing & so full of life.
    Such a loss to music at such a young age. RIP
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    We always say we're shocked by a death. but this one... I was genuinely shocked to hear the news this morning.

There are very few bands where the drummer is the cool sexy guy, the only guy people recognise apart from the frontman.

I'm not the biggest Foos fan, but they are that rare thing, a rock band who manage to have crossover appeal to mainstream music fans and even be recognisable to the general public.  And Taylor Hawkins, along with Dave Grohl, was a big part of that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    Wow. Genuinely knocked sideways by this.

He was as much the embodiment of the Foos as Grohl is.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Such a funny and brilliant guy.

RIP Taylor.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• You know those moments in a gig when a musician does something that is so cool/ awesome/ insanely impressive that you just spontaneously laugh at how crazy good it is? Just a fleeting moment usually, but Hawkins always looked like he was feeling that all the time.

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Very very sad. What a top, top drummer and seemed like a great guy to hang out with. RIP
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 977
    Tremendously sad news. Awesome drummer
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1252
    Totally, totally gutted when I saw this first thing.. amazing drummer and the perfect foil for Dave. Having listened to Grohl's biography they were very, very close..

Si
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I'm not a fan of the band, but seeing this was a huge shock - I'd just been watching 'Count Me In' a few days ago, and he comes across as a nice guy, with a deep knowledge of drumming and a great drummer in his own right... as already said, you have to be pretty talented to step into Dave Grohl's shoes in his own band. 50 is tragically young.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    I was watching a TV show last night and the song at the credits was Pretender by the Foos. I reminisced with the wife about playing that in a covers band several years ago and played the intro on my guitar before going to bed.

While I'm not a massive fan it was very sad to hear the news this morning. Anyone that can drum Everlong at gig pace flawlessly needs serious respect. Great drummer
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    One of the best drummers on the planet.
    Also a very good singer.
    Be seeing you.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Real shame, always looked like he was having a blast in the band and came across as a nice guy too!
  • MtBMtB Frets: 908
    Tragic news. So sad. And what a talented guy. And feel sad for his children at 16, 13 and 8 years of age - life's not fair...!

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1477
    Sad sad news. I am not particularly into the Foos’ music, however find them very interesting as rock stars and human beings.

Taylor was a big part of that - to be so positive and ‘up’ in such a pressured environment takes something special - he certainly had it in droves.

He just seemed so enthused by life and drumming - what a loss…
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    That's a real shame. Been listening to the Foo Fighters since they released their first album. I know Taylor has had a bit of an issue with drugs in the past and hope it wasn't related to that considering he had a young family to bring up. He always came across well in interviews. Him and Dave were best mates and this could well spell the end for Foo Fighters if Dave doesn't have the heart to go on. He nearly kicked music into touch once before after Kurt's suicide. Feel sorry for Dave and sorry for Taylor's family. Life can be a bit shit at times. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Devil#20 said:
    I know Taylor has had a bit of an issue with drugs in the past and hope it wasn't related to that considering he had a young family to bring up.  
    Yeah, you can't help think of it when a rock star goes early, especially when in Colombia of all places. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires