Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Knock me down - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Knock me down

What's the theory on this? It seems to start in d minor, then it jumps up to e minor?

I don't *do* theory, but should read a book or two...

I suspect I've over simplified the guitar to two 3 chord ideas for the verse but if it is more than that it doesn't sound obvious - as though the substituted chords have the same function?

Anyway, help appreciated :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    Do you mean starts on a d minor chord and then moves to an e minor chord or do you mean starts in the key of d minor then moves to the key of e minor?

If you mean the former then it's possibly in D Dorian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It sounds like the latter - d minor, c major, B flat major, then bridge with a5, B flat 5, then e minor, d major, c major.

It sounds like a key change to me, too. Though as I said, I'm not good with this.

I also might be missing a lot of the finesse in the progression - looking up chord charts suggests there is more going on...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Ah you mean the Chilis song. 

I haven't heard it in years so I can't be much help.
  • D-, C, Bb would be a common chord progression in D minor. E-, D, C, would be the equivalent in E minor. The A5 & Bb5 would be likely chords to use in the bridge of a piece in D minor. Hoiking up the key signature by a tone is a good way of increasing pressure & excitement within the song without having to actually write anything new to do so and doesn't usually require any clever modulation - just do it ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Okay, thanks!

Was just wondering if there was a clever reason it worked :) Cheers!