Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New section for the war? - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New section for the war?

What's Hot
Given that the Ukraine war is probably the (potentially) most dangerous thing to happen to the planet for years, even surpassing COVID, should we have a separate section?  At least until the nukes start flying?
Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Why?

It will be even less well informed than the C19 thread.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Because lots of people come into places like this to avoid temporarily the stress of constantly reading headlines and thread titles

yes please, put it somewhere like we did with COVID 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Can we just rename the Covid section something like The World Has Gone To Shit and put the war Discussions in there? 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    It seems that most war threads get moved to P&E.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9089
    Emp_Fab said:
    Given that the Ukraine war is probably the (potentially) most dangerous thing to happen to the planet for years, even surpassing COVID, should we have a separate section?  At least until the nukes start flying?
    How about a separate forum? You know, one NOT related to guitars and music…
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    War-room forum
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Contrary to received wisdom, I'm not sure tFB is, in fact, the entirety of life, nor does it need to cater for the entirety of life. We already have a good array of topics within which to spout ill-informed bollocks on pretty much anything we want. I'm not sure there's any need to add yet another area for us all to get our kicks navel-gazing and winding ourselves up on subjects most of us know fuck all about, whilst probably annoying those who might have actual skin in the game.

So, er, that would be a "no" from me. I'm sure there are plenty of other outlets ready-made for such discussions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Please use the Politics & Economics section for such discussions.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    Snags said:
    Contrary to received wisdom, I'm not sure tFB is, in fact, the entirety of life, nor does it need to cater for the entirety of life. We already have a good array of topics within which to spout ill-informed bollocks on pretty much anything we want. I'm not sure there's any need to add yet another area for us all to get our kicks navel-gazing and winding ourselves up on subjects most of us know fuck all about, whilst probably annoying those who might have actual skin in the game.

So, er, that would be a "no" from me. I'm sure there are plenty of other outlets ready-made for such discussions.

Agreed.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    Basically, no.

For more detail, see the posts from @Snags and @Roland .
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    viz said:
    War-room forum
    Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    Another No from me....I come here to try and forget the trauma's of life and stress of world politics.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    Why?

That's not actually possible. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9089
    Come and join us over on discord emp… today we’ve discussed the war, homoerotic dreams and regrets about not having an all male threeway… 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    It would be OK if it was like p&e and you could totally ignore it if you liked. I often forget p&e is even there. Which is nice.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Emp_Fab said:
    should we have a separate section?
    IMO, there should not be a separate war Discussion section. 

What difference would a bunch of British guitar enthusiasts, opining on a foreign conflict, actually make?

Probably about as much as Weimar cabaret satire did to prevent the rise of the Third Reich and the outbreak of WW2.

Disapproving in writing of the deeds of Vladimir Putin and his cronies will change precisely nowt.
    Be seeing you.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Can this thread be moved to Off Topic, please.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    edited March 2022
    Why?

This. 

That board pretty much turned into a private argument between a few members with opposing opinions, who are still at it. 

Add in the odd eejit posting conspiracy theories and it ended up being the waste of server space it is now. 

I don’t see how a war board would be any different. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    can we just have a general war forum? 

We can discuss our favourite wars, the best war films, why Alexander the Great wasn't as good as Rommel, how best to ambush tanks and how we would have handled the sacking of Constantinople. 

also...

pew pew. You're dead

no I'm not

yes you are, I shot you.  You have to count to ten.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Emp_Fab said:

What difference would a bunch of British guitar enthusiasts, opining on a foreign conflict, actually make?

Probably about as much as Weimar cabaret satire did to prevent the rise of the Third Reich and the outbreak of WW2.

Disapproving in writing of the deeds of Vladimir Putin and his cronies will change precisely nowt.
    Not true.

In just a few weeks we might all be thankful of any advice we might get from the internet.  Everything from conscripting our loved ones into the forces to advice on escaping the country (when and where) and how to deal with the likely stresses of war on our doorstep.

Sure, we might not be able to do anything about Putin, but we may be thankful for any help for ourselves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    CHRISB50 said:
    Why?

That board pretty much turned into a private argument between a few members with opposing opinions, who are still at it. 

Add in the odd eejit posting conspiracy theories and it ended up being the waste of server space it is now. 
    Shhhh. It keeps them out of other sections, and also makes them easier to spot where they do wander elsewhere.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    Grampa said:
    Another No from me....I come here to try and forget the trauma's of life and stress of world politics.
    I agree. Hearing and reading about it in the news every day is more than enough for me.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I agree we already have P&E for these type of threads.

The FB is an escape from such things and from the brief sampling Ive done of the threads on the war I've got no interest in them at all.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    edited March 2022
    Shrews said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Not true.

In just a few weeks we might all be thankful of any advice we might get from the internet.  Everything from conscripting our loved ones into the forces to advice on escaping the country (when and where) and how to deal with the likely stresses of war on our doorstep.

Sure, we might not be able to do anything about Putin, but we may be thankful for any help for ourselves. 
    FFS Put the fear of God into everyone why don't you? From radios that work after the holocaust bomb and advice on how to escape our own fuckin' country.....some of us are SICK of this constant scaremongering.So many fuckin' pessimists in the one place FFS. We have barely got our arse out of the Covid thing which is rearing up BIG TIME here in Scotland and now we are all gonna be shadows on the pavements soon. Why don't we all get together and have a mass suicide?

Emp......with your nerves at the moment you should know better than to start a thread like this. I have had more than enough

and pre emp.........yup, I am aware i started a thread with a fucked up helicopter but this level of Fender playin' demented budding Nostradamus is bad for our collective health

tae be or not tae be
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I'd prefer a new section for the Phwoar.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    axisus said:
    I'd prefer a new section for the Phwoar.
    Is that a section about Essex recording stupido’s  supermodel wife