Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Where to begin? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Where to begin?

What's Hot
thefezthefez Frets: 122
I've just bought a bass from a friend and want to start from the beginning properly. Unlike guitar where I've picked up bad habits I would like something structured and don't mind paying (online site presumably).

Any recommendations please? Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Cannot beat one-to-one tuition with a local person.

Learn it all then. How to play it, proper notation, sight reading etc.

There's a reason why that process has survived for all instruments for hundreds of years. It works and you'll make far more progress than with any other method.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    There are a million options I guess. I’ve been watching some BassBuzz on YouTube recently, he’s very clear ( the chirpiness might get on your nerves) and he does a beginner course so I might look at that if not having 1:1 lessons. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    This. 

An instructor in the room with you can spot any mistakes you make and suggest corrections. 

No video or book instruction course can do that … or give your gear the once over to ensure that it is helping rather than hindering you.

Once you have the fundamentals down, you can make progress by whatever method(s) suit you.
    Be seeing you.
  • Scott's Bass lessons are very good, but in person is better.

• diapdiap Frets: 135
    This. 

An instructor in the room with you can spot any mistakes you make and suggest corrections. 

No video or book instruction course can do that … or give your gear the once over to ensure that it is helping rather than hindering you.

Once you have the fundamentals down, you can make progress by whatever method(s) suit you.
    All very true, but not always achievable, especially outside the big cities.

In that case, I like Ed Friedland. https://edfriedland.com/products/