Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oi. What bass amp should my daughter get. - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oi. What bass amp should my daughter get.

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10211
What bass amp should my daughter get?
Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    SVT of course.

:)

It was super cool and sounded good, although it did have an annoyingly noisy cooling fan and was very sensitive to the exact load impedance when being run at 4 ohms, which made it less useful both in the house and as a grab-and-go head than I expected - even after I changed the fan for a quieter one. (The cab shown is 8 ohms.)

Serious answer - probably a Fender Rumble, the little ones are really excellent for the money and have a very effective limiter which means they can be driven harder than you would expect without making nasty farty noises or stressing it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Ah great, she’s looking at the rumble 100. Cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    If you can find a good cheap bac I'm about to list my Tech 21 VT bass 500 head.

Then she can have B15 - SVT tones all in one unit!
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    By bac, do you mean cab?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have the Rumble 100 and I think it's great for my occasional bass needs - and sometimes as a guitar amp if I need something light to carry.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rumble! Little boxes of genius. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    viz said:
    By bac, do you mean cab?
    That's a proper weird typo!!!

Yes - cab.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    If it's any use to you then I've got two starter amps going unused since I upgraded if you're remotely near E.Devon:
    • Kustom KBA10R - free
    • Marshall MB25 - £80
  • diapdiap Frets: 135
    If she's playing Oi I doubt it really matters!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    I'm looking after my nephews Marshall 30 watt Bass combo at the moment. It will be up for sale soon.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    It depends what for - practice or gigging?
    Markbass amps & cabs are very portable.
    Though I've never had one, a lot of folks like Rumbles.
    The older high-end Trace Elliot kit is stupidly cheap at the moment (but it is heavy!).
    Other aspirational high-end brands are Ampeg & SWR.
    An alternative is a pre-amp pedal into the PA.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Peavey - also cheap but weighty. It will probably still be around after Putin nukes Eastern Europe.

The unfashionable 200w Marshall DBS stuff is a lot of amp for your money. 
    Be seeing you.