Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #79 - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #79

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #79. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @DrHungry for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 28th February 2022.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 347
    edited February 2022
    1st Choice:  @susbemol ;- I really liked the choice of notes and feel on this one. Also the dynamic contrast in middle section although pretty much all entries had that quite nicely balanced.

2nd Choice: @DrHungry ;- I particularly liked the middle section.

3rd Choice: @IvanMC ;- really loved the lead tone and the use of right  picking hand finger tips in the middle section to tame the attack and dynamics but maintain the warmth of the ;

(edited 24/1/22 to add usernames and remove leftist choice of phrase!!!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Kept changing my favourite every time I listened, really excellent entries.

In the end:

5 Points @IvanMC - Nice Satch vibe to that, which always gets my approval. Loved the slow delay and just the general feel. Great execution.

3 Points @jasonbone75 - Nice dual Guitars, then switch to the single one and back. Loved the style here, sounded quite Vai-esque. Loved those runs from around 20s and 1:06.

1 Point @DigitalDave - This one pushed all my right buttons too. Very understated and a subtle jazzy vibe in some parts.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • 5 points : @DrHungry : The best fit to the backing. But it was your backing track :). Had the most melodic direction. Sparse spitting phrases at the start with nice interplay with second guitar. Builds well. Inventive middle leading to soaring end section.

3 points @IvanMC ; : Lovely legato phrasing, which squeaky percussive elements. Expressive. Very close between this and my first choice. As mentioned earlier, it has a 'Satch' type style.

1 point : @jasonbone75 ;   : Good use of two guitar parts, with nice melodies and harmonies. Lots of variety and expression.

It's not a competition.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    5 points: @IvanMC - Loved the tone and playing on this one! Matched the backing track so nicely.

3 points: @jasonbone75 - Cool ideas with the doubling up and lovely vibrato.

1 point: @DrHungry - Really nice movement between the statements and spot on with the vibe for my taste.
  • 5pts @jasonbone75 splendid playing phrasing and tone
    3pts @IvanMC delicious tone and playing
    1pts @digitalkettle so creative, well played.
  • Voting closes tonight at midnight.

@DigitalDave @IvanMC @digitalkettle @DrHungry plus anyone else who wants to vote.
    It's not a competition.
  • 5 points: @DrHungry - not just because he bought my amp last week ;) I really liked the phrasing and tone here...first half put me in mind of Taylor Goldsmith's playing on the Dawes album 'All Your Favorite Bands'
    3 points: @jasonbone75 ;syrupy tone and double-tracking...well executed
    1 point: @susbemol - wot no Freqout? Careful note choices...bits reminded me of various Steely Dan moments (especially around 0'50")

A strong month from all.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    digitalkettle said: wot no Freqout? Careful note choices...bits reminded me of various Steely Dan moments (especially around 0'50")
    Didn't have any time to experiment with effects, sadly. I did have something in mind for the Freqout but it'll just have to wait until another time. I have used it for a couple of other projects though, it's been very useful so far.

And thanks for the Steely Dan comment, I seem to naturally gravitate towards doing bad impersonations of the great guitarists they worked with! :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 104
    Sorry this is so late in the day... I needed the whole month to give it my consideration! I really enjoyed listening to everyone's interpretation of my backing, well done all for some top entries.

5 points - @susbemol disgustingly I have to give consecutive 5 pointers here, just such rhythmically tight phrasing (in keeping with the Mark Lettieri theme), it makes me sick. Nice transition to the C section too.

3 points - @jasonbone75 So cool that you've announced your music to the public with my backing! Really liked the slippery middle section and enjoyed how the pace picked up as the tune progressed. I think actually we had some quite similar ideas, it's just you appear to have the chops to express them more proficiently than me!

1 point - @DigitalDave This is definitely deserving of more points, sorry I didn't have more left to give. Some really nice tidy runs and to me it nailed the Lukather-esque vibe that the backing demanded.

@digitalkettle thanks for the album recommendation. And the amp. And the points! I couldn't put you on the podium this time lest people think we involved in some kind of Eurovision style point swapping between trade partners (but yours are nailed on for next month... ;))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    Voting closed.
    It's not a competition.