Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sire Marcus Miller P7 2nd Gen - Thoughts? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sire Marcus Miller P7 2nd Gen - Thoughts?

Rich31kRich31k Frets: 705
I mainly play finger picking, alt-folk/indie guitar, and I’ve been writing and recording. I’m a fairly competent, intermediate player. 

I'm looking to add some bass to the recordings, and it seems a good opportunity to learn how to play bass. I tried modo bass, but it all sounds a bit shit played on a keyboard. 

I did a bit of reading around and Sire basses seem to be regarded as good value for money. 

I looked at the V3 for £280 from Andertons, but noticed that Thomann have the P7 for £355 delivered.   

Any opinions on whether the P7 is worth the step up over the V3, or if I should look at a different brand/second hand?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• How about this V9 at £450?  I was considering it until a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass came within reach. 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/459870-sire-v9-version-2-quilted-maple-top/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited February 2022
    The V, P and M numbers denote the poshness level of the instruments within their respective series. (Colour options, veneer tops et cetera.) Unfortunately, the numbers are often inversely proportional to the weight. 3s are lumpen.

Check the specs for details such as the fingerboard radius and whether its edges are rolled/tumbled.

As for V3 versus P7, the most significant difference is the pickup configuration - JJ versus PJ. IMHO, the latter is only much use when the J has enough output to keep up with the P. Otherwise, it is better if the twain never meet.

Rich31k said:
    … a good opportunity to learn how to play bass.
    If you are more interested in playing than twiddling multiple control knobs, consider the Sire P5 - a one pickup, two controls Precision type. Heads down, no nonsense, mindless boogie. 

NOTE: The Sire pickguards are not directly interchangeable with the majority of aftermarket ones. Choose your finish colour with care. e.g. Sunburst + tort = all time classic. Red + tort = 1962 - 66 era. Surf Green + tort = nausea. 
    Be seeing you.
  • There are those that love Sire basses. I'm not one of them and based on those that I've played they are variable in quality, average sounding and heavy as balls.

I'd get myself on Basschat and hoover up a second hand bargain - almost anything Cort, Yamaha or Ibanez will wipe the floor with Sire kit.
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 705
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the advice you three. One my fiends  has offered to lend me an Ibanez to give it a go. I’ll try that and then take it from there. 

Given your comments @LooseMoose, I’d better try a Sire in a shop alongside others before buying. 
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Just to play devil's advocate.. I have a v3 5th gen Sire 5 string that compares very well with my Fender Jazz. The build quality is faultless, comfortable wide neck, very responsive pickups.. both active and passive and it's no heavier than the Fender. I've just been in the studio recording with it and the engineer preferred its sound to the Fender.
    Maybe I just got lucky!