Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Bass through guitar amp - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Bass through guitar amp

What's Hot
This old question again...

Rather than faff around at home with multiple amps can I get away with running my (4 string) precision through a Fender Princeton Reverb, for home use only?? 

Obviously I don't want to damage the speaker but literally all I want is some amplified practice at say 2 or 3 on the amp volume... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    I don’t see why not, at very very low volumes, but anything more than that then the speaker excursion will be an issue. The speaker is just not designed to reproduce such low frequencies, so it will be constantly trying to extend itself beyond its design limits.  I doubt it will be a very satisfying tone too.
    I had similar thoughts when I picked up bass for the first time a couple of months ago. But I thought I’d like a more bass amp like tone at low volumes, so I bought a tiny Fender Rumble 15 for the lounge. At £95 I think it’s a little gem and provides great bass tones from the comfort of the sofa. It can get surprisingly loud for a tiny amp too.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    edited February 2022
    Compressor up front if you have one or pick up a cheap bass pre into fx return. I use an Eden wtd this way and it's fine at practice levels.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cheers guys. I have a bass amp and plenty other ways to make a bass sound good, I'm just trying to cut down on how much gear is actually lying around just for practice... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It will be fine at low volume. If you hear distortion, it's probably coming from the speaker and it's too loud.

I almost always use my Peavey Studio Pro for practicing bass or quickly testing basses when I'm working on them, simply because I can't be bothered getting my bass amp out - it sounds fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I use a ZT lunchbox with only a 6” speaker, around the house and for the occasional jam session with a few mates, don’t use massive volume and it should be fine.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    You could sensibly make or buy a small bass cabinet and plug the amp into that. (It may need some minor wiring changes to allow that.) 

I spent my entire bass playing career playing through a guitar amp. It was originally a Fender Super Six (same as a Twin Reverb only with 6 x 10 inch speakers in a single huge combo). I cut it in half for portability and, when I switched to bass, made a small cab for a single one of those six 10 inch speakers, made a crossover box, and got hold of a single 15 inch bass speaker. Result: a 100W Fender guitar head going through a crossover into a 15 inch and a 10 inch cab. All easily portable, and it produced a killer sound.

• PALPAL Frets: 465
    Yes just don't turn it up too loud or you will blow your speaker.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 576
    I use my musicman sixty five through a 2x10 bass/guitar cab for guitar and bass. But they are designed too. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I have a THR5, the THR10 has a bass setting, so although the 5 doesn't I'm assuming its okay.  I've just tried the new bass (see bass day thread!) through it and sounds fine for home practice.

I have played bass through my super champ x 2 before and it sounded okay from what I remember.