Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone know their Banjo Ukes? - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone know their Banjo Ukes?

What's Hot
I know about good old wooden ukuleles - I have a few and enjoy playing them. I've never touched a banjo uke and know little about them. 

I'm after one for a marching band I'm thinking of starting. It needs to be as loud as possible as it'll need to cut through second line drumming and brass. I imagine I'll just use a flat pick as most of it will be strumming. 

Any advice on what to look for, and what to avoid? Are they normally tuned re-entrant style (standard uke tuning)? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Call Eagle Music in Huddersfield and ask to speak to Matt. He'll guide you :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Read what I said further down the page about 5-string banjo setup/maintenance. It's still the same for a banjo uke. :) 
    Missed the bit about playing with a flat pick. You can but the traditional way is to strum it with your fingers :) 
  • moremore Frets: 222
    edited February 2022
    The basic idea of the banjo ukulele was to increase the volume of a ukulele with a resonator . Everything else is the same as a conventional ukulele . The resonator changes the tone , if your a long time wooden  ukulele player , you might not like it. I would suggest you try one be before you buy. You could consider buying a tenor ukulele. Tuned the same as the smaller ones , but has more volume. There were lots of cheap banjo ukuleles made in past that sound dreadful. You see them on eBay , if you look for brands like Deering or Ozark you will get an idea of what you will need to pay for decent one.
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 405
    Mellish said:
    Missed the bit about playing with a flat pick. You can but the traditional way is to strum it with your fingers  
    I play my wooden ukuleles with my fingers, the only reason I want a banjo uke is not for tone but for sheer volume. Hence plans for flat picking. Possibly thumb & finger picks. Percussive rhythm is what I need it for, primarily. 

more said:
    if your a long time wooden  ukulele player , you might not like it. I would suggest you try one be before you buy. You could consider buying a tenor ukulele. 

I already have a tenor uke and as much as I love it, I need obscene volume. I'm aware how banjo ukes sound and I'd never choose one for playing around the house and 'enjoying' the tone. It's simply to be heard outdoors in a marching band format - cutting through two drummers, sousaphone, trombone and trumpet. 

We'll be doing a mix of funk, soul, ska/reggae/dancehall and trad New Orleans stuff. Something like this:

I'll check out the Ozark and Deering stuff as a starting point, thanks. 

edited February 2022
    @Cryptid ; as I said, you can play a banjo ukelele with fingers, flat pick or fingerpicks. It's really down to what works for you. There is no right way. As I say, give Matt a call. He'll guide you through it  
  • moremore Frets: 222
    edited February 2022
    Cryptid said:
    Mellish said:
    Missed the bit about playing with a flat pick. You can but the traditional way is to strum it with your fingers  
    I play my wooden ukuleles with my fingers, the only reason I want a banjo uke is not for tone but for sheer volume. Hence plans for flat picking. Possibly thumb & finger picks. Percussive rhythm is what I need it for, primarily. 

more said:
    if your a long time wooden  ukulele player , you might not like it. I would suggest you try one be before you buy. You could consider buying a tenor ukulele. 

I already have a tenor uke and as much as I love it, I need obscene volume. I'm aware how banjo ukes sound and I'd never choose one for playing around the house and 'enjoying' the tone. It's simply to be heard outdoors in a marching band format - cutting through two drummers, sousaphone, trombone and trumpet. 

We'll be doing a mix of funk, soul, ska/reggae/dancehall and trad New Orleans stuff. Something like this:

Cryptid said:
    Mellish said:

more said:

If you sound like Ceux Qui Marchent Debout , you will be onto a winner, with me anyway.  Sorry if you do know this,   it is not a ukulele but a four string banjo the guy in the photo is playing .   Because it uses steel strings and you play with picks , it will be  heard . I also know the banjo player also uses a little portable battery amp , that he has on a shoulder strap.  You could uses a pickup on a wooden ukulele .. I have a Mahalo with a Piezo Pickup . The sound is not that good , but you can play with your fingers and it is as loud as the amp you plug it into. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yes, a four-string banjo  would definitely cut through the mix. I'm not sure a banjo ukelele can, though I could be wrong, never having played one :) 
  • How about a resonator? That would also get you more volume but otherwise is a standard uke.

Failing that, a RISA with a battery powered amp!
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 405
    @more CQMD are great aren't they? They're definitely the main inspiration for the sound I'm after, although incorporating a bit more trad New Orleans tunes, as well as some classic dancehall. 

I knew it was a banjo the guy was using but was hoping a banjo uke might cut it... but maybe not seeing as he normally amplifies the banjo to cut through. Wow, I never thought I'd own a banjo but that's probably the way to go due to steel strings and extra volume. 

@Mattharrier I've had a go on an old National resonator, lovely instrument but they're not quite loud and cutting enough for my needs. 

Thanks for the help all. I'll head up to Hobgoblin in Birmingham to try out a few plectrum banjos! Might need to get the neighbours a 'sorry in advance' gift ;)