Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). DAWless production - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

DAWless production

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
edited January 2022 in Making Music tFB Trader
Does anyone else go in for DAWless production?

I'm thinking specifically for EDM / sample based music.

I've always found computers to be a fairly creativity free environment so I'm getting into doing some hardware sequencing with a Novation Circuit Tracks. Really enjoying it at the moment, but keen to build out my setup. 

Not quite ready for an Akai Force yet, but maybe one day...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Nobody?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 405
    I used to make EDM/dub/house years ago with an analog setup. Roland 101, 202, 303, 909, Jupiter 6, Space Echo 301, Korg MS20, Mu-tron Bi-phase to name a few. Probably the happiest time of my life... program the machines, joint and a cuppa, then jam with a mate for hours on end, always recording. The mixing desk becomes a true instrument and you record a 'live' performance. It's a completely different workflow to using a DAW, encouraging quick decision making - no undo button to fall back on. Limitations spawn creativity. I loved that about it and when I moved to a DAW was hit with the old option paralysis and hated staring at pixels moving squares around, and ultimately stopped making electronic music. 

Sold the lot for a song during a bad patch. One of the biggest regrets of my life. Hey ho. 

I'd like to get a lo-fi setup on the go again one day... centre piece being a Tascam 388 if I can ever find one for a decent price. 
  • What do you think to the 90s QY series by Yamaha ? They seem to be quite cool and amazingly portable and look fun to be able to take anywhere . I was re entry looking at a Qy20 , the much more loaded QY 70 looks ace though 
  • It's my go too these days, all you really need is a decent synth (well 2) and drum machine, unless you get a rc505,  that bit of hardware really would make the whole thing so much easier,

I use a tr6s, plus synths how'ver with an rc505 I could go down to one flexable synth and the tr6s 
    tFB Trader
    What do you think to the 90s QY series by Yamaha ? They seem to be quite cool and amazingly portable and look fun to be able to take anywhere . I was re entry looking at a Qy20 , the much more loaded QY 70 looks ace though 

The beginner tool of choice seems to be the Circuit Tracks these days. 

I really love mine, it's such a creative tool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Not so much EDM, but dabble a bit with making bleepy tracks using Pocket Operators, Korg Monotron etc. Zoom R16 for the multi-track bit.

It's really good fun, and I enjoy focusing on the creative part rather than fiddling around with the computer. That said, I get things done a lot quicker in Logic, and it's a lot easier to correct mistakes ... often a few :smile: 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    The MPC one looks amazing for £550 it's an amazingly capable sampler, synth and sequencer. 

My only worry is it's a bit too much like working on a laptop and at that point I might as well use Ableton.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited February 2022
    I am selling my QY700 (in classified here). No better hardware sequencer out there. Great for songwriting with song arranger.    

I am too invested in software now to justify keeping it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hopefully reviving this thread, in a state of COVID isolation, saw some videos of the circuit tracks, if I wanted to get into making synth ambient music without a computer, is this the best way forward? Any other suggestions?
    tFB Trader
    Zonular said:
    Hopefully reviving this thread, in a state of COVID isolation, saw some videos of the circuit tracks, if I wanted to get into making synth ambient music without a computer, is this the best way forward? Any other suggestions?

I've got one and it's brilliant.

They are very easy to understand and get up and running with.

The only limitations to be aware of are you can't pitch samples so you can't for example take a bass sample and turn it into a bass line and also it only has 2 synths so you can't have bass lead and a pad for example.

It includes a mixer and midi tracks so you can add two extra synths etc for more complex arrangements.

Check out Gabe Miller on YT. He's the circuit king.

The other budget option is the Model Cycles which is all monophonic FM.
  • I am selling my QY700 (in classified here). No better hardware sequencer out there. Great for songwriting with song arranger.    

I am too invested in software now to justify keeping it.
    Wow that’s the big daddy boss one