Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Good books for solo pop arrangements? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Good books for solo pop arrangements?

I have a solo arrangement for Christmas songs arranged as jazzy chord melody takes. Challenging for me, very different to my usual rock and metal and funk, but fun!

Now I fancy learning solo arrangements of other pop songs. Can anyone recommend a book? Electric or acoustic, I don't mind. 

Sadly, it must be tab. I can read music from a piano but not guitar! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited January 2022
    What’s the Christmas book? Might get it if it’s good. Does it have music as well, or just tab?
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7416
    edited January 2022
    viz said:
    What’s the Christmas book? Might get it if it’s good. Does it have music as well, or just tab?
    It does have music (I need the music for timing and to better understand what I'm playing, I just need to have tab to get me there...). 

The book is Christmas Carols 20 chord melody arrangements blah. Hal Leonard book.

It's pretty good actually! I'm not exactly a jazzer (at all) but I is really interesting to hear some of the chords used, and it has taught me some interesting ways to play a melody and use leading notes to "pull" into another chord (not just the obvious dominant chord stuff). I quite like it - but you're a more accomplished player than me!

Edit: @viz Christmas Carols Jazz Guitar Meolody Chord Solos With Tab Book: Jazz Guitar Chord Melody Solos https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1423494784/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_ACSM92V80G82HE8GY8EY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 ;
  • Just to add, I'm working on we wish you a merry Christmas and hope that, by Christmas 2022 I'll know at least 4 or 5 of them to play well, and be a better player for it.