Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Have I subconsciously nicked this riff? - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Have I subconsciously nicked this riff?

What's Hot
Did this as a quick demo to test the basics of using a DAW for the first time. It's sketchy AF, first take stuff - I was just trying to get sounds down to a programmed drum and bass track.

The opening riff - I can't place it as someone else's (it's a pretty generic single string thing anyway) but I'm sure it is and I've subconsciously lifted it. Any idea from who?

Ignore the placeholder image - was literally the first image that I came across - the video creator thing wouldn't work/publish without one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Maiden?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    edited January 2022
    DiscoStu said:
    Maiden?
    Yup.  Wasted Years.

EDIT: I think they may have used a variation of it - possibly closer to yours - on one of their later albums.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    DiscoStu said:
    Maiden?
    Yup.  Wasted Years.

I knew I'd played the riff before but couldn't place it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 231
    Awesome! Thanks.

Been bugging me for years. Could never place it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStu said:
    Maiden?
    Yup.  Wasted Years.

EDIT: I think they may have used a variation of it - possibly closer to yours - on one of their later albums.

See also: Shadows of the Valley from Book of Souls

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    DiscoStu said:
    Maiden?
    Yup.  Wasted Years.

See also: Shadows of the Valley from Book of Souls

Must have been from the earlier one - I was playing my hash before 2015.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    edited January 2022
    All you need now is to wait a few years for the Cover Challenge to reach 'W'.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited January 2022
    If by "subconsciously lifting it..." you mean reproducing it note for note then ..err.. well yes .. you have...

Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CaseOfAce said:
    If by "subconsciously lifting it..." you mean reproducing it note for note then ..err.. well yes .. you have...

No, you're absolutely right - that's why I knew it was hooky. I knew it wasn't mine, but had no idea where it came from.

No intention to mislead - I haven't listened to Iron Maiden properly since the 80's.

It's dead simple to play, if it wasn't, it wouldn't have been me playing it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    I was just joking with you AsterixTG. !
    It's a fantastic hooky Adrian Smith riff doing that top string alternated with fretted notes thing.
    (See also Alice by Sisters of Mercy - although that's on the B string).
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    CaseOfAce said:
    I was just joking with you AsterixTG. !
    It's a fantastic hooky Adrian Smith riff doing that top string alternated with fretted notes thing.
    (See also Alice by Sisters of Mercy - although that's on the B string).
    Yeah, no worries - new to the board, and all that.

You lot are the first bunch of guitarists/musicians I've spoken with for a long time - let alone anyone that would have any clue as to what it was.
  • DiscoStu said:
    Maiden?
    So close I thought I'd been rick-rolled ;)

Btw, @AsterixTG, I checked out some of your 'Mainstream' tracks...great 90s stuff!
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/221564/new-to-the-forum-this-is-the-sort-of-stuff-ive-done

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    DiscoStu said:
    Maiden?
    So close I thought I'd been rick-rolled ;)

Btw, @AsterixTG, I checked out some of your 'Mainstream' tracks...great 90s stuff!
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/221564/new-to-the-forum-this-is-the-sort-of-stuff-ive-done

Great! Glad you liked it :)
  • My fave maiden song ,reminds me of the years I think I wasted.

It’s not unusual for riffs to be similar  but this is spot on lol