Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What bit of technique or theory are you digging at the moment? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What bit of technique or theory are you digging at the moment?

What's Hot
Personally it’s been pull offs. Recently learnt I was doing them wrong and have been enjoying developing my technique a little - though I probably do need to commit to some practice routines to really nail them. 

I’ve also been interested in the thread about vibrato [easy there autocorrect]. It’s got me thinking more about my own technique.

I always enjoy little things like the above to focus on. I noodle over loopers and synths, and new theory or technique gives me a focus that breaks me out of repetitive playing and spices things up.

what’s been the thing you’ve enjoyed digging into recently?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 231
    Basic picking.

Sort of starting technique again from scratch. Realised that I'm really inefficient and 'floppy', loose.

Doing basic runs to a metronome. Feels like changing a golf swing, will get worse before it gets better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • greejngreejn Frets: 112
    Barry Harris theory. It's hard but an amazing approach to jazz.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    Hybrid picking for that Suspicious Minds intro.
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Ethan Hein’s unpacking of the Giant Steps changes.

http://www.ethanhein.com/wp/2018/giant-steps/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AsterixTG said:
    Basic picking.

Sort of starting technique again from scratch. Realised that I'm really inefficient and 'floppy', loose.

Doing basic runs to a metronome. Feels like changing a golf swing, will get worse before it gets better.

Really interesting, how did you come to that realisation?I suspect my picking might not be great, but not sure what I should be measuring myself against.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    'Jolene' using hybrid picking (pick and 2 fingers). Currently notching up the speed on a part to accompany the vocals, then I'll tackle the intro pattern.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 231
    edited January 2022
    Was just looking at others on YT and realising that I swoop in and out between the strings using loads of movement.

Also realised that even just doing a fast pick on a single open string wasn't in good time, wasn't consistent with the pick volume/attack and I could see everything wobbling about.

I've been holding the pick between the thumb and the first and second fingertips and it's inherently unstable. Tried locking the pick into the 'side' of the first finger and the difference is night and day. However, it feels really weird so I now have to practice and get that to be the norm.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    I've been practicing mixing up note groupings, 4s with 5s etc. Got to master the stuff you barely ever get to use, anything to put off learning 99 Red Balloons for the band.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    DefaultM said:
    I've been practicing mixing up note groupings, 4s with 5s etc. Got to master the stuff you barely ever get to use, anything to put off learning 99 Red Balloons for the band.
    There are good memory guides for them - nice cup of tea, for 2 against 3; don’t bother me today, for 3 against 4. If you find some good ones for 4 against 5 and others, let us know!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.